Scroll or band saw

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

captain shelley

Scroll or band saw

Post by captain shelley »

Hi all, I am contemplating purchasing a scroll saw or band saw for model building. I am wanting to get more into scratchbuilding and I currently have a dremel but would like a saw dedicated to cutting various materials. I have seen some dremel scroll saws available and am wondering if that would be a good idea to purchase one. Any one have thoughts on this? Thanks again.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

For extremely tight curves (zero radius) in light material, (say, wood up to maybe 1/4 inch thick) get a scroll saw. For not-so-tight curves (down to perhaps 1/2 inch radius) in heavier materials, get a band saw.

I own a band saw, and I use it a lot for carpentry-type projects. For modeling, not so much; about all i use it for, model-wise, is cutting pour stubs off resin kits.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I feel like a scroll saw is a lot more versatile. I've done everything from 2" guitar bodies down to 1/16" steel. It's all in using the right blade, of course, but for modeling especially I would go that route.

-Rog
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

The band saw is the way to go. Tighter curves can be achieved with relief cuts, getting close to your line and finishing up with files or drum sanders. It won't burn the plastic and will give you a nice cut. Scroll saw is like a jig saw, bouncing up and down. Hard to get a nice cut line. A nice Delta table top band saw won't set you back too much. They just have a tougher time with thicker wood like 2x wood stock. Plastic should be fine.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
kerick

Post by kerick »

A band saw with a thin, fine toothed blade will cut most of what you need. I assume you will be cutting really tight curves by hand. Scroll saw will cut tighter curves but the up and down motion may screw up what you are cutting. Or at least be annoying. In the end you will have to see what works best for your situation. Ask around any friends who are into wood working. Some home improvement stores may be helpful if you find someone who understands what you intend to do. Rogviler has a good point, it's all in using the right blade. If you intend to use it a lot don't be afraid to spend some money on high quality. If not so much try Harbor Freight tools if your in the US.
I like dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
Patrick Henry
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have a 12" Delta bandsaw, and the 16 tooth-per-inch blade does a great job. You'll want to hook it up to your shop vac, though. I have a scroll saw, too, but honestly dont use it much.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
david bailey

posting reply

Post by david bailey »

Everything that has been said is true.If you can i would buy a band saw.I just recently got one for fathers day.I have used it alot for different stuff.Each saw has it uses for diffrent stuff.but for general hobby useage i would buy the dremal shcol saw set up.It is made for small hobby jods and projects that the band saw can't ,I have one and i use alot as well.If you don't have a regular corded dremal motor tool,i would buy one also. The dremal motor tools can do aloy stuff for general hobby useage. I have five and i use them alot. I would purchase the regular muti task corded and the battery one as well. Each can be made to alot around the house and workshop. I just recently bought the high performance dremal because of the attachments it can use. You can get it at lowes,where you can get a catlog full of dremal products. I am a tool man when it comes to tools ,you can never have too many i say.every tool has its purpose.If you have the money and the space for it. i would invest in what i mentioned. Just my opinion.
david bailey
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

TER-OR wrote:I have a 12" Delta bandsaw, and the 16 tooth-per-inch blade does a great job. You'll want to hook it up to your shop vac, though. I have a scroll saw, too, but honestly dont use it much.
This is a great tool. I've used it for wood working projects besides for modeling. Mostly for trimming up tenons, though.

Don't be suckered in paying silly amounts of money for a rip-fence though. I created a perfectly good rip-fence using a bar clamp (already in my workshop), an extra-large (plastic) framing square ~$5, and a chunk of hardwood scrap.

This thing is great for starting a complicated carving. Like a fuselage shape. I've taken blocks of styro-foam, balsa, even pine, glued side & top profiles to it, and cut the around the profiles. One trick is to NOT cut the entire piece off (side or top). Then when you flip the blank 90 degrees, you still have a flat plane to put on the table, to cut the other profile. When you're done, you just carve away the "corners". Oversimplified, but its amazing how much faster the carving goes when you can get quickly to the side & overhead outline shape.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I bought the fence and a circle-cutter jig. OK, yes a good piece of wood and clamps would have worked as well. The circle cutter I use maybe a couple times a year, but it's really nice to have when you need it.

Keep those guide blocks properly adjusted!

The only pain is the 1/8" blade breaks more easily than larger blades. It's just not that much metal to hold the weld.

Oh - don't wear gloves when using the bandsaw! At least not loose cotton ones with fingertips...
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I got a scroll saw, and it works with everything I've ever tried to cut. It's perfect for plastic sheet, because it can get a nice, tight line without melting the plastic. I use it all the time to cut sheet plastic and wood.

I have tried a bandsaw, but other than major cuts to reduce stock it's not much good for modeling.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Migmaker

Post by Migmaker »

well I'll just speak from experience here. I've used both and still have a scroll saw. first one was stolen. If you have a steady hand you can do the most amazing work with a scroll saw, a very good one can cut 1/2" wood like butter and amazing how fast you can go, they also don't bounce up and down out of control as most think, right blade for right job and the correct speed setting also helps lol...so with this said, you really can't go wrong with either..why not save and get both...:)

Will
If you can dream it, I can build it, and probably already have......:) William
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I have a band saw I use all the time. I also have a scroll saw that lives under my bench and I have not used in years.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

I have this saved on my Harbor Freight wish list

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-ben ... 96980.html

I'll get it when it goes on sale or when I have a burning need for it, whichever comes first.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Mark Yungblut »

After working in the model shop at Kenner, I found that the band saw had more practical uses than a scroll saw. One thing to consider is that a band saw does not heat up like a scroll will so cutting styrene is much easier.

I find I can do 99.9% of the work a scroll saw can do with a good old fashioned Jewelers saw with really good super thin laser cut blades. I have a Delta 14" I got that was a floor model at a Sears hardware. get the narrow blade and use the guides like the instructions say.

If you plan to go with a scroll saw DON'T buy a cheap one. with those you seriously get what you pay for...
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert