How to show sand being kicked up?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

hotrodnz

How to show sand being kicked up?

Post by hotrodnz »

Hi all,

I'm thinking about making a diorama showing an action scene with sand being kicked up as the model lands.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can achieve this effect on static model?

Here's a picture of the sort of effect I'm trying to achieve :-
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/20037 ... Image-Bank

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
HotRodNZ
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

My first thought was maybe some really loose-packed cotton, spray painted in tans. As for the airborne stuff, no idea.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Or... go with the cotton idea but glue sand to it... like you do with trees.... dip the branches in glue and apply the leaves to it.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Sand is too coarse usually which is why the fine cotton idea is about the best. Use hairspray to help fix it in shape before hitting it with some fine paint or powder.
Abolish Alliteration
hotrodnz

Post by hotrodnz »

Thanks guys for the great hints

I'll have to try them out tonight.

Cheers
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

Maybe teese the cottom into curls to show a mini microburst.
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

instead of sand couldn't you use brown sugar over the cotton??? or maybe salt?? should be a finer grit but still give you the crystalline particle effect effect. then just paint to color
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

i saw a tute some time ago of an M60 tank ripping up mud and grass and it was quite dynamic.
The builder used acrylic cut to the wedge shape between the track and the ground, then spatterened his mud mix on that and worked out a bunch of globs of mud being flung backwards by allowing it to hang and dry updside down to get the flung shape. Also used brush brisltes IIRC to get some of the longer flung out blobs.
you may be able to adapt this idea for dust.

I like the cotton / spun nylon idea as well.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

You will have a lot of difficulty, if you are expecting on having the effect of sand being suspended in mid air. Cotton will look like painted cotton. You will have better luck if you use the effect of after the action has been completed. i.e. sand being distributed from treads, tires in a sprayed pattern.

TazMan2000
BROCK UPPERCUT

Post by BROCK UPPERCUT »

try making the shape with thin styrene or the clear plastic , then put silicone from a tube to get a more fluid shape . then glue on really fine sand.
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

raser13 wrote:instead of sand couldn't you use brown sugar over the cotton??? or maybe salt?? should be a finer grit but still give you the crystalline particle effect effect. then just paint to color
The probelm with using anything even vaguely food-like for groundwork is that little critters will come & eat it. Sugar for sand, flour for snow, etc. are all bad ideas for this reason. On top of that, a lot of the food-type items will change colour over time with exposure to UV light, or heat or humidity, unless painted and paint will ruin the look.

Weevils, roaches & mites are not what you want crawling around your dioramas.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I have spiders living in some of my planes. They'll cover the whole thing in webs overnight. I can't imagine what ants would do if I invited them in with brown sugar.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

wouldn't the glue you use to hold it in place seal it away from the little buggies?? my grandfather has had a brown sugar beach on his train mock up for decades and hasn't mentioned any problems with bugs eating it. but he also sealed it with clear dull-coat to for good measure. and at the scale it looks amazingly like sand.

you might also be able to use the fine grit sand that they have in ash trays.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

The mass of sand can probably be simulated using the suggestions posted here, but the individual grains may be hard to do.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
spykee12

Post by spykee12 »

you could try mixing sand with glue and building it in the right shape
hotrodnz

Post by hotrodnz »

Hi all

Thanks for all your tips which I put to good use.

Here is a link to some photos of the finished model and diorama which ended up winning 2nd place in the diorama section of the recent SSM "Starfighter 2" contest.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/contest/dio_01.htm

In the end I used some polycotton (the stuff that you put in fish aquarium filters) coated with hairspray and sprinkled with real sand. I kept repeating the hairspray and sand until most of the polycotton fibres were obscured. I also rolled up a 1inch wide strip of clear plastic and inserted it underneath the cotton/sand mixture to give it some volume and lift the front part off the rest of the diorama.

I didn't manage to get the effect of a big volume of sand being kicked up, but overall it turned out well.

Cheers
hotrodnz
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

What about clear resin, with some sand mixed in. As it dries, use a popsicle stick and manipulate it in a shape that would be fitting for your scene. Once dry, add some more sand to the surface to give it that "kicked up" look.

just an idea off the top of my head :idea: