1/350 Refit Shuttlebay woes...

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

generalFROSTY

1/350 Refit Shuttlebay woes...

Post by generalFROSTY »

I have a forthcoming problem to solve and wanted to get some opinions and advice from you guys.
I will do my best to explain it - I have to wait until next wednesday to take photos to show what I am talking about.
The way that the shuttlebay attaches into the secondary hull, there is a gap between the shuttlebay floor and the 'endcap' piece (exterior of the shuttlebay).
Fitting the shuttlebay directly against this endcap opening produces a flawless fit of the curvature of both parts. However, once the shuttlebay is attached to the appropriate holes inside the secondary hull, and the endcap is put into place, not only is there a gap between them, but it narrows on one side to the point where one small side of the shuttlebay floor is flush against the endcap and the rest there is a gap.
I have two options to go with here, both would give me a different look.
Option 1:
Sand down the shuttlebay floor side so that the gap is even all around and leave it as-is to be sort of the 'track' that the shuttlebay doors would move on.
I would NOT paint the surface of the endcap the same color of the shuttlebay floor (dark gray) but leave it white as seen in the Refit-A studio model. I would not include the runway stripes on the endcap either.
Option 2:
Remove the pegs that attache the shuttlebay to the secondary hull, glue the shuttlebay directly to the endcap prior to gluing into the secondary hull. Sand until the shuttlebay floor and the endcap are one smooth surface.
Mask and paint so that the shuttlebay floor and endcap top surface are the same color.

I know this may sound confusing - I can see the problem in my head but am having a hard time explaining it.
If anyone has encountered this problem before, please fill me in on the most viable solutions.
Preferably, I would rather NOT have the dark colored runway floor color exposed on the endcap when the shuttlebay doors are 'shut'. I like the white surface look.
Pengbuzz

Re: 1/350 Refit Shuttlebay woes...

Post by Pengbuzz »

generalFROSTY wrote:I have a forthcoming problem to solve and wanted to get some opinions and advice from you guys.
I will do my best to explain it - I have to wait until next wednesday to take photos to show what I am talking about.
The way that the shuttlebay attaches into the secondary hull, there is a gap between the shuttlebay floor and the 'endcap' piece (exterior of the shuttlebay).
Fitting the shuttlebay directly against this endcap opening produces a flawless fit of the curvature of both parts. However, once the shuttlebay is attached to the appropriate holes inside the secondary hull, and the endcap is put into place, not only is there a gap between them, but it narrows on one side to the point where one small side of the shuttlebay floor is flush against the endcap and the rest there is a gap.
I have two options to go with here, both would give me a different look.
Option 1:
Sand down the shuttlebay floor side so that the gap is even all around and leave it as-is to be sort of the 'track' that the shuttlebay doors would move on.
I would NOT paint the surface of the endcap the same color of the shuttlebay floor (dark gray) but leave it white as seen in the Refit-A studio model. I would not include the runway stripes on the endcap either.
Option 2:
Remove the pegs that attache the shuttlebay to the secondary hull, glue the shuttlebay directly to the endcap prior to gluing into the secondary hull. Sand until the shuttlebay floor and the endcap are one smooth surface.
Mask and paint so that the shuttlebay floor and endcap top surface are the same color.

I know this may sound confusing - I can see the problem in my head but am having a hard time explaining it.
If anyone has encountered this problem before, please fill me in on the most viable solutions.
Preferably, I would rather NOT have the dark colored runway floor color exposed on the endcap when the shuttlebay doors are 'shut'. I like the white surface look.
No, I get what you mean, generalFROSTY.

The only problem with number 2 is that the shuttlebay would be supported and held by it's end only. Perhaps a third alternative is estimating how much of a gap there is, maneuvering the shuttlebay in the model to fit flush with the hangar bay endcap, marking it, then once you are sure you can trim the pins and glue it in place.
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

I still have some time to think about it - I will take some photos this week and really think hard about the options.
I would like to know what others have done with this area, just to give me an idea.
z1pkicker

Post by z1pkicker »

Dremel or sand down those mounting holes & tabs.
The shuttlebay walls support the floor of the shuttlebay, if you need added support or 'lift at the lip of the rear of the bay, build it up underneath with small strips of scrap plastic.
You will then find that you can 'push' the shuttlebay closer to the endcap.
This will get rid of your gap woes.
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

z1pkicker wrote:Dremel or sand down those mounting holes & tabs.
The shuttlebay walls support the floor of the shuttlebay, if you need added support or 'lift at the lip of the rear of the bay, build it up underneath with small strips of scrap plastic.
You will then find that you can 'push' the shuttlebay closer to the endcap.
This will get rid of your gap woes.
That sounds like what I will be doing. Gotta do a lot of dry fitting before I commit to gluing, but theoretically, it sounds like the option I am looking for - thank you!
z1pkicker

Post by z1pkicker »

You're welcome, I'm happy to help.
The front of the shuttlebay is supported by a locator hole aft of the arboretum so the endcap won't be supporting any significant weight, but when dryfitting you have to remember about that pesky fantail nav light underneath...