Airbrushing decal film ?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

holt

Airbrushing decal film ?

Post by holt »

Ha guys I just got a bottle of microscale liquid decal film and I would like to know if this can be airbrushed and if so how and what do I thin it with. Thanks
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Y'now, I was fooling around with this just the other night. I tried a little isopropyl alcohol and it seemed to thin it alright for spraying. I was trying to get the thinnest possible sealant over some inkjet decals. I ended up just decanting some Krylon acrylic lacquer into my airbrush cup and using that instead because I knew for sure it would work.
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Future, airbrushed & handbrushed, has been reported to also be an effective decal sealant.
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

When you thinned the Microscale film, did you use the 70% or the 90% alcohol? So far I've only hand-brushed the stuff on small decals, but I may need to do a whole sheet soon.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Romulan Spy wrote:When you thinned the Microscale film, did you use the 70% or the 90% alcohol? So far I've only hand-brushed the stuff on small decals, but I may need to do a whole sheet soon.
Cheap stuff; 70%. I routinely coat 8.2x11 Alps-printed sheets by hand using a 1/2" brush and when the Liquid Decal Film dries you can't tell it was ever brushed on there. IMHO, there's really no need to spray it. I was only trying to spray it in this instance because it was inkjet decals and brushing would not have been a very keen idea. Future works for coating decals, too, but I've have Future-coated decals crack up on me in the past; seems like the longer you let it dry the more brittle it gets.