Can carbon fiber rod be permanently bent?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Havoc

Can carbon fiber rod be permanently bent?

Post by Havoc »

Heya, Folks,

I slowly moving towards finishing a build and I wanted to place a resin 35th scale pilot above the ship as if she were floating towards the open hatch.

I was thinking of using something strong that will support the figure and thought that carbon fiber rod might work --- does anyone know if you can shape this with heat or anything else?

If not, I'm looking for a thin substitute strong enough to support a 35th scale figure but flexible (or workable) enough so that I can make the "wire" look like it is floating in zero-g...so I would have to be able to work curves into it. I guess I could use brass rod, but the really thin rod (again, think 1/35th scale tether) won't be strong enough to support the figure...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
I love the smell of Resin in the Morning!!
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

I would try to shape the tether from a piece of wire coat hanger.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Floral stemware. Thin, really flexible, and strong. Come in many thicknesses as well.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

*scratches head* CF would be great but the only way I can think of getting it to bend would involve heating it to the point where the resin was flexible. Problem is that it could ignite pretty easily also.

I'd just got with piano wire. You may have to anneal it to get it to bend but you can then re-harden it by quenching it if need be.
Abolish Alliteration
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Even if you could find a way to bend it you may also have to deal with toxic fumes. I do know that fiber carbon does come in tubes but I don't know about rods. Plus can be expensive.
Normal?? What is normal??
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Thanks, Folks!

Sounds like messin' with the CF is just going to be messy, so I'll nix that.

Looks like either piano wire or floral stemware... I can get piano wire at my LHS, but, where can I pick up floral stemware...? Do I get it at a craft store like Michaels or do I have to go to a flower store of floral supply shop...?

Thanks again for the input --- much appreciated!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Floral stemware can be bought at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Pat catan's, and some Wal-mart's. Pretty much any craft stores. And it's like 2-3 bucks for ten or twelve 12" rods on average.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Brilliant! Michael's it is. Thanks amigo (and amigos)!!

Much Appreciated!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Helpful tip if you're single: When you go into Michael's/etc. ask a lady where the floral stemware is. When they take you to the aisle, most likely they'll ask you what you need it for. Make up something sweet like, "Oh, it's my (insert name here) birthday and I want to make her something special on my own." You'll get some ooo's and ahhh's, maybe a glance or two... :twisted: