printed decal help

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

holt

printed decal help

Post by holt »

Ok hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm working on a 1/1000 refit that I've made into the E-A to do this I've printed out my own decals scaling down the 1/350 refit decal and printed out the strongbacks from SSM now I've been putting Testors lacquer on them and been giving it 2 or 3 days to dry but when when I'm working with them on the model the ink starts to run after a few mins or so I'm also using micro sol and just read on the back that it can distort the decal. So whats the best kind of clear and how long should I let the decal dry and should I use micro sol on them. Thanks
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Make sure you are allowing the ink to fully dry on the decal paper, and then hit the paper with at least two or three light coats of clear lacquer to fully seal the ink from the topside. I err on the side of caution and used three coats. The decal film on the paper should be solid enough to seal the backside of the ink. Testors sells a "Decal Bonder" spray for use with its inkjet decal system. You might want to try that instead of regular Testors gloss coat. Micro Sol should be okay for a fully-dry decal, but remember that it is a Sol-vent and can melt a decal if applied too liberally. You can't move a decal once it has been hit with Micro Sol or odds are that it'll distort and be ruined.
holt

Post by holt »

Thanks Joseph it seems that the micro sol been the problem all along thanks for the reply.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Krylon UV-Resistant Matte finish #1309
Abolish Alliteration
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

I recently tried the TESTORS home decals for ink jet printer.

Not liking the decals that come with the Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprise-A for the VIP Lounge. It's decals of the Nacells if you were looking backwards. Lame.

I thought a poster of Farrah Fawcett would look much better there and I'm sure Kirk would love her.
http://gerry1of1.files.wordpress.com/20 ... -large.jpg

But the decals just disolved when applied to the plastic. edges curling up uncontrolably. Unable to nudge it into place even a millimeter. crumbled and came away when I tried to remove excess moisture with a paper towel.

I used decal solvent and maybe that made it too soft. But for my first try with them I was really not impressed.

On the plus side, they printed very nicely. After applying the bonder no colors bled in the water at all. That bit was very good.
Young at heart! {Other parts slightly older}

my model page http://gerry1of1.wordpress.com/
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

You might want to try a little Microscale Liquid Decal Film. Print your decals, let the sheet dry for a few days, then spray with Dullcote, then brush a light coat of liquid decal. Once dried, it should handle pretty much like a regular decal. Just go easy on the decal solvents.