Air compressor, need advice about this PAASCHE model

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

samusaran

Air compressor, need advice about this PAASCHE model

Post by samusaran »

I'm looking for my first compressor. I already have a Testor airbrush (I know it's not the best of airbrush, but I'm a beginner) but it's double-action with internal mix.

Looking in my area (don't want to order online, shippping cost too high), I've found a hobby shop with a Paasche DA300 Air compressor. It sells fot 140$ + taxes and the model comes with an air regulator. What do you think about it ??
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I've been using my D3000 for the past several years. Whisper quiet, and very nice to work with. You will find the pressure regulator a worth while accessory.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

I have been using the same Paasche D-550 for the last 30 years! Of course they no longer sell it, so I cannot comment on the new product they put out.

Max Bryant
psytce

Post by psytce »

I use a air compressor that I got at Sears for about $50. I bought a regulator/moisture trap for about $20. It has a 5 gallon tank, the only thing is that it is not silent.

You can use any air compressor as long as you use a regulator & moisture trap. If you don't care about the noise you could just look to see if any hardware shops or Sears is having a sale and get one cheaper that way ......

Tommy
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

mightymax wrote:I have been using the same Paasche D-550 for the last 30 years! Of course they no longer sell it, so I cannot comment on the new product they put out.

Max Bryant
I guess I should ad that I did add a Norgren/Badger air regulator and moisture trap onto mine. Mine is not silent but very quiet. I used it in our second floor apartment when we first started. I put it on top of a folded towel to absorb any vibration that may have gone into the floor. I never had the neighbors complain about the compressor but they complained about my stereo! :twisted:

Max Bryant
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

If there's a Hobby Lobby in the area, go to their website, print a 40% off coupon, and go get yourself a SmartJet by Iwata. IIRC, they also have a compressor that has a small (very small) tank.
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

================================
'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'