gloss clear enamel over white, how bad will it yellow ?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

gloss clear enamel over white, how bad will it yellow ?

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I have an apollo command module that is primed with tamiya fine white primer, I need to add 2 decals and i might want to gloss coat the entire thing. I have testors high gloss clear coat ENAMEL in the rattle can. My understanding is that spraying a gloss coat on top of white will cause the white to yellow how bad of a yellowing are we talking about ? I do like the look of the flat white that the tamiya fine white primer has provided but i have 2 decals that must go on the sides of the apollo command module and it needs a glossy surface plus a sealer to protect the decals How will the high gloss enamel clear coat look over the white primer ? there is fine details molded in the command module and any more white paint will cover them up so i fiqured a clear gloss coat so the details would remain visible.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Use the coat sparrsely. Normally, you should not see a yellowing unless you apply too much. Just a "hush" with the rattle can should be enough. But if it is just for 2 decals, maybe invest a few bucks and get some clear coat to apply thinly with a brush?

Rattle can works IMO well on large areas, but if the parts are small and you have lots of rims and edges, chances are huge that too much varnish will end up on the kit and collect in these areas, causing yellowing and other mess. Brush would probably be the more controllbale approach.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

I have a bottle of clear and also a bottle of future. i thought about brushing a small area and then when dry brushing on a protective coat over the decals. i think that would leave a shiney spot on the flat finished surface. so i bought a can of tamiya gloss white and i will put on 2 coats of that and then apply a small brushed on clear on top of the decal.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

That sounds good, too - unless the white tones differ. This happens easily, but your method just omitts the risks of an additional clear cote layer under the decals. Should work, though, good luck!
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

I've had bad experiences with Testors clear yellowing, but that was long ago, and they may have changed their formulation since.

Because of that, I got leery of Testors, and I've been using a lot of Tamiya clear lately; it does not seem to yellow. On a model car I built four years there's no sign of yellowing at all.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

The yellowing info was from fine scale modelers book i picked up. I am glad i saw that before i had that done to my white CM. Tamiya gloss white over the tamiya white primer, then some brushed on clear or future on top of the decal and i think it will be solved.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

Bert, one word for you: Future. It's the STUFF! it can be brushed, but watch out for brush strokes.
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

================================
'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

I decided to spray 2 coats of tamiya gloss white so that the decal will go on nicely :) I can then brush some future over the cured decal and that way, the decal will be protected.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

The tamiya pure white left a nice finish but it looks like a semi-gloss white in most of the areas. It looks shiney in light with some areas glossier than others, maybe more paint got onto the glossier parts. I think the decal will be ok on there however, adding a clear coat of some kind brushed on top of the decal to protect it now depends on how glossy or semi-glossy the decal turns out. if it is semi-gloss looking then maybe i can use the MM acrylic semi-gloss clear brushed on. If it comes out glossy i am wondering if the MM enamel high gloss top coat would be better and spray the entire part ? here is the number of the can. # 2936. Has any one used this stuff on white ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

I prefer using Krylon crystal coat for my finishing. it dries quick and can be re-coated anytime (although later cans say to coat within 20 minutes or something like that).

But overall, i have yet to see a model i have clear coated with krylon start yellowing, though i agree if you put too much of any clear coat on it probably will yellow.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

BERT aka MODEL MAKER wrote:The tamiya pure white left a nice finish but it looks like a semi-gloss white in most of the areas. It looks shiney in light with some areas glossier than others, maybe more paint got onto the glossier parts. I think the decal will be ok on there however, adding a clear coat of some kind brushed on top of the decal to protect it now depends on how glossy or semi-glossy the decal turns out. if it is semi-gloss looking then maybe i can use the MM acrylic semi-gloss clear brushed on. If it comes out glossy i am wondering if the MM enamel high gloss top coat would be better and spray the entire part ? here is the number of the can. # 2936. Has any one used this stuff on white ?
There are two things you're proposing that I personally wouldn't do.

1. I would use a clearcoat of the same type and from the same manufacturer as my color coat; that is, I'd use Tamiya gloss clear. Start mixing paint types and four times out of five you'll get away with it, but the fifth time you'll get some godawful interaction, checking or crazing or fogging or something.

Although, to be fair, I've sprayed Dullcoat (a lacquer) over enamels or oils many times with no problems; and a whole passle of people will chime in here to say that they've sprayed diesel oil over buffalo dung dissolved in MEK (or whatever) with no problem at all. And knowing what you can get away with, paint-wise, is a big part of being an experienced modeler.

But, since you seem to be a neophyte, I strongly recommend that to get a glossy finish over your Tamiya white, you use Tamiya clear (sprayed in light coats at first, since I've had it attack decals).

2. I would spray the clearcoat. Unless the clear is really thin, like Future, you're just asking for brushmarks and an uneven shine.
wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 »

Rocketeer wrote:I've had bad experiences with Testors clear yellowing, but that was long ago, and they may have changed their formulation since.

Because of that, I got leery of Testors, and I've been using a lot of Tamiya clear lately; it does not seem to yellow. On a model car I built four years there's no sign of yellowing at all.
2nd that. I prefer acrylics to enamels, and Tamiya makes the best around in my opinion (both bottled and spray-can).

Regarding Future-

Anyone know if it can it be applied via airbrush? And if so, what solvent works best to dilute it?
-Eric
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 »

Ace Airspeed wrote:Wraith,

Lots of good reading:

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... hp?t=15107
THANKS! :D
-Eric
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

I decided to respray 2 more coats of tamiya gloss white and it came out perfectly ! very high, even gloss, thats all it needed and now I have a very smooth, glossy surface. :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER