Interplanetary UFO finishing and decaling

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jimboh1

Interplanetary UFO finishing and decaling

Post by jimboh1 »

Hi All-

So I just got my reissue today @ the LHS, and my question is: if I want to build it as Glow in the Dark, are there any considerations re glue and decal solutions to keep in mind with this kit, as the surfaces will NOT be painted?

I had one of these 30 plus years ago, and all I can remember is how obvious the glue I used on it was... :shock:
Jim HANDS
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
widget

Post by widget »

Let's be generous and suggest that 30+ years ago,you were what,10?
And probably laid the Tesstors Non Toxic tube glue on a little thick? :wink:

At the skill level you undoubtedly have now,just use your favorite flavor of liquid cement.
This IS my sig.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I'd use a hot cement like Ambroid Pro-Weld or Tenax. That can be buffed down easily. You can also make a paste using sprue and liquid cement for filling - but be careful and let it all evaporate before sanding.

You'll want to seal those decals down with Future, too. Or, I guess any gloss coat would work.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

I plan to do mine Glow in the Dark, too, but I really wonder what I should do with the seam lines...

I thought about covering them with sheet styrene - BUT is "glow in the dark"-styrene available anywhere in sheets? I can't find any...
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

I like the glow effect but see it as a novelty that would soon wear off. So I'll be painting it. Likely to go for a light grey.

I've had two arrive so far (from the store, natch) and another on the way from an ebay seller (bought before the store had any in stock and still not received - equally natch).

I'm going to get the JT graphics Leif decals - disappointed this wasn't an option in the kit itself.

THe model is very much a blank canvas and has lots of modification potential. The "engines" are disappointing but I didn't like the original design either.

ie

Engine interior and I think I'll scrounge some clear plastic to insert as blanks and tint red for the engine glow effect.

I'm also going to raid the bits box for some engine bells to add as manoeuvring thrusters.
like this

The Project Rho website has been really helpful for ideas.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Marco Scheloske

tonyG2 wrote:I like the glow effect but see it as a novelty that would soon wear off.
Well, I want to build a "flying dutchman in space", so I`ll not paint mine (besides some detail painting).

Still wonder what to do with the seamlines...
Greetings from Germany -

Marco
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

tonyG2 wrote: ie

Engine interior and I think I'll scrounge some clear plastic to insert as blanks and tint red for the engine glow effect.
Wow, other than the fins those bear only a faint resemblance to the LE kit engines.
Last edited by macfrank on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You can "cheat" the seams with stretched sprue. If it's glow-in-the-dark plastic, the sprue will work fine. You may need to add more strips, of course, for symmetry.

Terry Miesle
Marco Scheloske

TER-OR wrote:You can "cheat" the seams with stretched sprue.
:oops: That`s my Nemesis: I can try as hard as I`m able to, I never figured out how to manage the "streched sprue"-story. No way. The sprue will ever snap after just a few millimeters, or it willmelt completely. Even if I had to do it to save my live I weren`t able too... :oops:
Greetings from Germany -

Marco
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Practice, practice, practice. Soften a larger section of sprue, or use this trick:
Soften the end, grab a bit with a needle-tip tweezers and slowly pull.

Slow being the operative word...

Terry Miesle
Marco Scheloske

TER-OR wrote:Practice, practice, practice.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt... :?

It seems I`m missing the necessary DNS to be able to do it properly... :oops:
Greetings from Germany -

Marco
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

If you use a candle, don't hold the plastic above the flame or in the flame, but aside it. Keep the sprue rotating and moving, so you soften about a half-inch. Once the plastic starts to sag, you're almost there. I don't know whether you already do this.

Terry Miesle
Marco Scheloske

TER-OR wrote:If you use a candle, don't hold the plastic above the flame or in the flame, but aside it. Keep the sprue rotating and moving, so you soften about a half-inch. Once the plastic starts to sag, you're almost there. I don't know whether you already do this.
I tried a thousand ways, it was even showed to me how to do it by a fellow modeler on an exhibition - after an hour of effortless tries I gave up. He also could not say why it won`t work when I try to do it, as I made nothing different than he did.

The gods of stretched sprue are not with me... :cry:
Greetings from Germany -

Marco