"Hobby powders" vs. regular powders?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Sluis Van Shipyards

"Hobby powders" vs. regular powders?

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

I read the article in the new FSM on weathering powders like Mig Productions' powders. The article says they are better than using regular powders like you'd get in an art store. I always skipped the more expensive powders and have just used the sets I got from Micro Mark which are basically what you'd find in an art store or somewhere like Michael's. So I wanted to see what peoples' opinions were. Are the more expensive powders worth it and which are the best?
geck

Post by geck »

The powders they speak of (such as MIG and Tamiya) are recommended because they have an adhesive built into them...thus sparing someone from having to spray a fixitive. The fixitive can ruin the whole effect of powders anyway.

I personally use them very sparingly. I prefer to paint my weathering when I can, but I do agree that there is a use for them in some applications.

I don't know which are the "best", but I've used Tamiya's and they are pretty good. Thing is they are expensive and you are given a small amount. I have been wanting to try the MIG pigments as they offer a wider variety of weathering colors.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mig powders are also extremely finely ground and contain little or no fillers, just pure pigment.

The Tamiya make-up sets are also very finely ground but contain some form of adhesive additive.

I've also used Gunze's powders, which are cheaper than Mig but I'd guess contain some filler.
Abolish Alliteration
Sluis Van Shipyards

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

I may get a couple MIG colors to test them out to see if I'm wowed by them. :lol: They're like $5 something a bottle though.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I bit the bullet WF before last and was impressed. A little really goes a long way.
Abolish Alliteration
batai37

Post by batai37 »

I've had good results with Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders. MicroMark carries the set.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Hit an art supply house and get powdered pigments for making paint. You'll find many colors and they are cheaper.

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
sci-fi-bldr

Tamiya's powders...and clear coats

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

I just bought some of the Tamiya weathering powders at my LHS...tried some on a old model....really like the results!

How to they work with a clear coat...does it change the color any??....or should I even worry about a clear over it?
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

When I use them I usually do it last and do not clear coat. If you use an airbrush it is possible to seal them but you have to use very light dusting coats in multiple dust>dry>dust>dry coats.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert