Grinding/Sanding larger bulbs?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

kronos6948

Grinding/Sanding larger bulbs?

Post by kronos6948 »

How would one go about doing this without ruining the bulb?

Reason why I'm asking is because I scored what I thought was a good hit...I found xmas LEDs (an xmas net) at a Home Depot for 4 bucks. 70 "cool white" LEDs. Problem is, they're teardrop shaped with a crosshatch pattern on them.

They're not super bright, but I think they'd be the perfect brightness for windows and nacelles, but due to the pattern embossed on them, they throw light in all directions instead of concentrating it.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

As long as you:

a) Don't overheat the LED bulb by sanding/Dremelling; and

b) Don't get closer than 3/32" (or so) to the metal bits inside,

you'll be fine (and so Will the LEDs).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
kronos6948

Post by kronos6948 »

Chacal wrote:As long as you:

a) Don't overheat the LED bulb by sanding/Dremelling; and

b) Don't get closer than 3/32" (or so) to the metal bits inside,

you'll be fine (and so Will the LEDs).
So, how would I do this safely? I do have a variable speed dremel like tool...but I don't want to overheat the bulbs. Is it going to be the old fashioned sand by hand until I get the desired shape, and then sand with finer and finer grits until it's polished? Or is there a faster method?
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

How big are those teardrops?

A set of lights I picked up last year were teardrop shaped with cross-hatching - but that was just a plastic lens mounted around the actual LED - pulled those teardrops completely off to get at the LED underneath
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
kronos6948

Post by kronos6948 »

OOOH!! GOOD CALL!!

They come right off!!

Thanks!!
kronos6948

Post by kronos6948 »

Ok, new question...These have a flat top to them, which when shone directly on stuff, they give off a dark spot, and a bright ring. I'm assuming it's because they're not dome shaped.

Now, these things are TINY. One bulb fits PERFECTLY in the 1/350 Enterprise's saucer section marker lights (the ones that are supposed to be red and green), and when held up to a tape measure, they're 3mm in diameter.

So, do I then grind them into a dome shape by hand with some fine grit sandpaper by rounding the flat edges?
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Basically, yes.

You might get them to rough shape with a Dremel, though. Just a touch against a sanding drum (so they don't overheat), turn them a bit, another touch... Of course, you have to hold the LEDs with needle-nose pliers or something like that.

After the shape is roughly sanded, you go in manually to finish shaping it.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
swhite228

Post by swhite228 »

kronos6948 wrote:Ok, new question...These have a flat top to them, which when shone directly on stuff, they give off a dark spot, and a bright ring. I'm assuming it's because they're not dome shaped.
Dose the flat top have a cone shape in it?
If so the led uses the cone to reflect light out the sides of the led. You would need to sand off the cone to get rid of the drk spot.
kronos6948 wrote:So, do I then grind them into a dome shape by hand with some fine grit sandpaper by rounding the flat edges?
Yep, or look for clear half spheres the same diamiter as the led (jewlery sectiom of craft store) to glue on the flattened end.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Chacal wrote:Basically, yes.

You might get them to rough shape with a Dremel, though. Just a touch against a sanding drum (so they don't overheat), turn them a bit, another touch... Of course, you have to hold the LEDs with needle-nose pliers or something like that.

After the shape is roughly sanded, you go in manually to finish shaping it.
It's a touch easier to chuck them in a drill, mount it in a vise, tie the trigger, and sand away. :wink:
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!