Panelization Question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

Panelization Question

Post by starmanmm »

Never done it before, so is this the correct way?

base paint the model

Seal

Mask off areas that you want to panelize

Seal

Then dust the base color over everything to help blend it all in

Does this sound correct?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Are you talking about distinct panels of slightly different shades or just providing a color blending/darkening effect along panel lines - like on aircraft to provide a sense of scale?
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I am referring to distinct panels of slightly different shades. Like what you see on some starships.... meaning a gull grey base, but panels of silver, dark grey, etc. that are noticeable but not over powering.
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I like to shoot lots of different colors, then overspray the whole thing with a single thin transparent shade of grey to tie it all together. This turns into This.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I sharply mask and preshade any panels prior to color coats if I want them to look a different color. Black under greys, blue or green or yellow under reds, yellow under greens - you get the idea.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
eeun

Post by eeun »

Romulan Spy wrote:I like to shoot lots of different colors, then overspray the whole thing with a single thin transparent shade of grey to tie it all together. This turns into This.
I've always done it the other way, and sprayed panel shades on top of the base coat. I like your way better!

How do you mix your transparent coat, and what kind of paints?
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Romulan Spy, that is what I am aiming at doing!

Cool, so now I have a better idea of what I am doing.

So, when you over spray are you spraying above 20psi and are you spraying close or far from the subject?

So, am I to understand that you use a transparent version of the final coat to cover your panelization?
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I used Model Master light grey acrylic for the topcoat. I added plenty of clear gloss and thinner to the mix; not only was it thin, but the clear gloss made it semi-transparent. I started airbrushing the color, and it took several coats to get it dense enough to tone down the panels. I also sprayed it somewhat haphazardly; I left it thin in some places, heavier in others. Adding clear varnish (flat or gloss, doesn't really matter) is the key: Because the paint is basically a tinted clear coat, it doesn't obscure your panel detail all at once. You have plenty of time to build up the color to the proper density. Experiment and have fun with it. This was the first time I tried it this way, and I plan to do it again, maybe with a different set of colors for my next kitbash.
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

Clear varnish as in Future? I've been looking for a way to achieve this sort of effect with acrylics. i was able to do it years ago with enamels and a lot of thinner, but have moved away from thinners since they need solvents and all sorts of stuff. Great work by the way!
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Since I was using Model Master acrylic, I used their own brand of clear gloss. I don't normally use the stuff, but I wasn't sure how MM would react to Future.