Clear Flat Coat

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Clear Flat Coat

Post by Callandor »

In the past, I have always used spray bomb dullcoats, such as from Testors. I recently tried airbrushing on a Model Master Flat Clear Acrylic instead. I wound up with spots that looked "frosted" when the light hits them just right. This primarily occurred where I had large decals. Is this because of the clear coat or the decals? Should I recoat it w/ a laquer dullcoat?
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Were the decals applied over a gloss coat? If not, you're seeing the difference in the way the dull coat reacted to the flat paint surface vs the gloss decal surface.

You could try VERY LIGHTLY sanding down the dull coat with fine sandpaper, like 1000 grit or better, and re-coat.

What's the build? Can you disguise the spots with weathering or light battle damage?
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Romulan Spy »

Before attacking the finish with sandpaper, try shooting another gloss coat, as that will sometimes get rid of the dull coat frosty patches. If that solves the problem, let the gloss dry for a few days, then try adding a bit more thinner to your dull coat mix. It may have been sprayed on a little thick the first time.