Pledge (Future) in Aust, no longer 'working'?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

PetarB

Pledge (Future) in Aust, no longer 'working'?

Post by PetarB »

It's been a few months since I've done any modeling, so I was looking forwards to doing up a Superslyph Yukikaze. Here's what I've done:
- Washed the resin
- Airbrush and masked various hues of Tamiya acrylic
Then, the problem....
...I've put on a few layers over this of Pledge One Go (Future) which I recently purchased. Let dry for a couple of days. I then apply water with decals, and the water has instantly discoloured the Future surface. And then it starts to peel away.
I've done many, many models this way, with no problems. Perhaps the recipe for Pledge has changed? Does anyone know anything about this or can enlighten me? Thanks for your time.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Four questions:

1.) How hard is your water? That can be a problem here in Kentucky.
2.) How long did you wait in between coats of Future?
3.) How many coats of Future did you apply?
4.) Did you thin your Future with anything?

I have had Future fog before from water if I let water sit on the surface AND I didn't let it cure long enough AND the coats were thick (i.e. I was rushing ;) ).

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I do believe that it was discussed on here and other forums that the formula for Future has indeed been changed.
Thomas E. Johnson
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

PetarB,

I think you may have hinted at an answer to your own question in the "Future" thread:
PetarB wrote:Pledge One-Go in Australia is NOT a rebranded Future equivalent. I know it's listed as such on Swanny's website, and a few other places of information, but I've tried Pledge One-Go extensively. Firstly, unlike Future, it has a pale brown/yellow colour to it. I does self-level but is extremely 'thin' and almost useless for applying a 'gloss coat' as it pools off very quickly. It does have a small effect on clear canopies, and I will continue to use it for such, but its certainly NOT the same product available in the USA. If anyone knows of a closer Australian equivalent, I would love to know!
Hope this helps any frustrated Australian modelers.
It sounds like you were on to something based on what Tracy Mann found out last January

Tracy Mann relayed this information from his IPMS guy:

viewtopic.php?p=852647&sid=6d14f65da28c ... ff226c1e8b
Tracy Mann wrote:This is a portion of an email sent out by our IPMS club president. IPMS First Coast Jacksonville, Fla.

This is an FYI for all in case you all did not know. I went to get more Future today and did not find any at Walmart. What I did find was Pledge with Future Floor Shine. I got a bottle. I went to K-Mart and found Future Floor Finish. I got a bottle as well. Both products are manufactured by S.C. Johnson. When I got home I called S.C. Johnson to find out if both products were the same. According to Jeff, the guy I talked to, he said, "they were the same." If you look at the UPC codes on both containers they are exactly the same as well. So, in the "future"... the new labeling will be Pledge with Future Floor Shine. No puns intended.. <:-)))
Probably everybody in the club and across America know this already but just in case there are some out there that do not,, FYI...

I thought I'ld pass this along.

Tracy
Merlin Jones added this later in the same thread:
Merlin Jones wrote: For all those budding Klear Sheikhs out there, note that the plastic bottles can become brittle over time, under certain conditions.

From SC Johnson;

Thank you for your email regarding Klear. I am sorry to say that this product was discontinued and is therefore no longer available in stores. Your interest in this product will be logged so that our marketing department are aware that there is still a demand for this product. We have launched a new product which works in a similar nature to Klear, which is called Pledge Multi-Surface Wax. This new product can be used either the same way as Klear or its improved formula can now be used as a cleaning agent if diluted. Multi-Surface Wax is now self sensitive which means that wax will not build up over time. As its a new product, it should be readily available. Unfortunately, we do not hold a listing of which local outlets stock our products as it is constantly changing. I can advise you that we supply the new product to the major supermarket distribution depots for: Asda, Morrisons/Safeway, Sainsburys and Waitrose. However, once they have received delivery they decide on the distribution of the product and SC Johnson have no input to this decision. It is also worth looking in smaller independent stores and chains such as Wilkinson's and Robert Dyas. However, as these are independent retailers and acquire their stock from wholesalers, we do not have specific information on the products they choose to stock. Unfortunately, SC Johnson does not have a mail order service. However, this product may also be available from mail order firms such as: www.choiceful.com I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

Yours sincerely John DorringtonCustomer Service AdvisorSC Johnson

Unfortunately, the Johnson gurus know not the usage of their product within our hobby and fail to appreciate that lemon-scented waxiness is not what we need.

Regards,
Bruce
I would bet your thoughts were correct and that not just the UK are affected by the reformulation of the overseas stuff. Sorry. :(

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Spacephrawg

Post by Spacephrawg »

are there any good alternatives to Future now?
When life gives you lemons, don't despair. no one gives me lemons
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Spacephrawg wrote:are there any good alternatives to Future now?
Future in the states is unchanged, except for its name:

Tracy Mann wrote: This is a portion of an email sent out by our IPMS club president. IPMS First Coast Jacksonville, Fla.

This is an FYI for all in case you all did not know. I went to get more Future today and did not find any at Walmart. What I did find was Pledge with Future Floor Shine. I got a bottle. I went to K-Mart and found Future Floor Finish. I got a bottle as well. Both products are manufactured by S.C. Johnson. When I got home I called S.C. Johnson to find out if both products were the same. According to Jeff, the guy I talked to, he said, "they were the same." If you look at the UPC codes on both containers they are exactly the same as well. So, in the "future"... the new labeling will be Pledge with Future Floor Shine. No puns intended.. <:-)))
Probably everybody in the club and across America know this already but just in case there are some out there that do not,, FYI...

I thought I'ld pass this along.

Tracy
It's the OVERSEAS stuff that's been changed.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Spacephrawg

Post by Spacephrawg »

Righto. thanks very much.
When life gives you lemons, don't despair. no one gives me lemons