Anthricite metallic gray help needed asap

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Anthricite metallic gray help needed asap

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I bought some model master Anthricite metallic gray enamel in the bottle. What is wrong with this paint ? it is very watery & runs off both primed & unprimed white surfaces. It looks almost like it is see thru and no matter how much you try to brush on, it just wont cover the white. Is this some type of special paint i haven't heard about ? why won't it brush on like regular enamel paint ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Sounds like you've got a bottle of Model Master Metallizer paint. It's a very thin lacquer that must be airbrushed onto bare plastic. Does it have a silver cap?
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

It has a black cap and says enamel
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

This is airbrush only paint. It does not need to be thinned, unlike other Model Master enamels, however it is not made to be brushed on. Like other MM metallizers, it should be airbrushed over a glossy, smooth primer coat, preferably black or silver, although you can get different effects by painting over gray or white. It should be airbrushed in several thin coats, and you can buff it to a high shine with a piece of soft cotton, like a diaper or old flannel. Seal it when you're done with Testors Metallizer sealer, clear gloss lacquer, or Future. These clear gloss top coats will actually dull the shine down a bit, but you are the only one who will notice that. I used to use Testors buffable metallizers exclusively for metallic finishes, and I still use them off and on, but I'm slowly switching to Alclad II lacquers for their superior finish.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

well that explains that. This paint was with the regular enamel paints and it says nothing on the bottle about being an airbrush paint, it just says enamel paint OR is that what the word Anthricite means ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

It's not a Metallizer color, it's an enamel from the MM2 line. It's also not gonna brush well unless you apply it really thick. I use this color all the time and it has to be put on in several coats to cover, or sprayed over another color. I usually spray it over Interior Black to represent carbon fiber. It also looks great when sprayed through panty hose stretched over the part, makes a great carbon fiber look.

Mix it really well, thin it just enough to get it to flow, then airbrush about 4 layers on and it should look as it's intended to look. It's not a dark color, it's more of a clear with metal flakes in it.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

I dont own an airbrush sadly, :cry: but this stuff just ran and puddled in corners. they need to say this on the bottle. i am going to try for a refund.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If they carry Gunze Sangyo, look for their "OIL" color - it will work more easily. Brush painting is tricky, you will need to use multiple coats, as Erin said. With a gloss paint like Anthricite, you'll probably need like 5 coats if using a hand-brush. Perhaps several coats with an airbrush if you want to use it as a primary, not a topcoat/effect.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

The shop should have had it with the airbrush paints and not mixed with the regular enamel brush paints. the bottle says nothing about it being transparent.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Well...it's like the pearlescent and kandy paints. They're all transparent glosses, and take special care. I know a lot of older kits call for that color, and I had the exact same issues years ago. There's no really good way around it now, I guess.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

i returned it for a refund :)
BERT
MODEL MAKER
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

There's actually two Anthracites in the MM line. One is the Anthracite Grey Metallic, the other is Anthracitgrau which is a WW2 German color that's a tad darker than modern Gunship Grey. When building Revell Germany kits in the past, it's the Anthracitgrau that's usually called out in the instructions, and it's usually just called Anthracite.

The Anthracite Grey Metallic is a color from their car paint line of MM paints, so it's definitely intended to be airbrushed. Unless you're doing a glaze or wash, it just aint gonna work with a brush.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models