which krylon paints are safe for models ?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

which krylon paints are safe for models ?

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

Which krylon paints are good for painting models and what do I need to do to use krylon safely on the models ? do I have to use any special primer ? I have always used model hobby spray paints, (no airbrush) But on my strict budget, I have to find less expensive paints. I model real space & some iwrin allen sci-fi and need some aluminum colors. The testors metallic silvers just don't cut it. does anyone have a good list of the krylon paints & any related primers i can use safely ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

How about duplicolor paints, same question, how do you prepare the surface and what primers are best to use without having to sand, sand ,sand ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
walter

Post by walter »

I use duplicolor primers and sand them with fine sand paper 320 and 400 when needed . spray the primer on very lighty in 4 or 5 coats, if you put it on thick in one coat it will melt the plastic. You should be abile to spray krylon over the duplicolor primer, try it on scrap first.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Thanks walter. can tamiya fine white primer be used with the duplicolor or krylon or does it need to be a certain kind of primer made for the krylon/duplicolor ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
walter

Post by walter »

I have never used tamiya primer so I dont know. The duplicolor is laquer so I think it would eat the tamiya primer.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Tamiya is also a lacquer.

My suggestion is to test it on something unimportant.
Abolish Alliteration
walter

Post by walter »

Kylwell wrote:Tamiya is also a lacquer.

My suggestion is to test it on something unimportant.
In that case it may work
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I've never had any problems with Krylon paints attacking or melting the plastic, flat black is a little hotter than other colors though, it will bond to the plastic, this is true of any flat black spray paint I've tried though.

(note: the above only applies to 'regular' Krylon paints, I've never tried any formulated for plastic, the H2O paints, the tints, etc.)

I've had good success with the 'Color Place' brand paints from Wal-Mart, for basic colors under $1 you can't beat that.

I haven't used Duplicolor paints on bare plastic, I have used their primers on resin kits and they're my favorite for this application, a couple of coats with some light sanding in between and you'll have a good hard base for further paint coats.

Ken
walter

Post by walter »

kenlilly106 wrote:
I haven't used Duplicolor paints on bare plastic, I have used their primers on resin kits and they're my favorite for this application, a couple of coats with some light sanding in between and you'll have a good hard base for further paint coats.

Ken

I Have used Duplicolor on bare plastic and was ok but works better with there primer under it, it seams to cure harder and smoother with the primer.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I've used lots of Krylon over the years as primers. I've also decanted some and shot it through airbrushes too. I have never had a problem. Duplicolor is my favorite filler primer, though. As for the "formulated for plastic" stuff. It works great on everything but styrene. It won't melt it, it just won't ever cure...ever.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

thanks kenny !
BERT
MODEL MAKER