Heat Shrink Question

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Tchail

Heat Shrink Question

Post by Tchail »

Hey Everyone,

I understand that when building your electronics for your starships, it is best to insulate electrical connections using heat shrink tubing.

I've picked up a package at Radio Shack, and I have a question:

What temperature is needed?

I'm going to have to get a heat gun, but I don't need the power of a big paint stripping gun.

But would a small craft-type gun work?

Thanks,

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

The one I use is actually my wife's "embossing heat tool" she got at Michael's

Does the job quite nicely, and the smaller opening gives me more control so I can shrink-tube Plastic Fiber Optic strands without causing the strands to curl up on me
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I usually hold the heat shrink over my (plugged in and up to temperature) soldering iron.
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I use a cigarette lighter myself. I've seen others use a small pocket torch. It doesn't take long enough to catch anything on fire or melt solder. I've found it's hard to be precise with a heat gun and you can get a lot of heating of surrounding circuits and/or plastic, and some just take too long.

I'm sure there's a Debbie Downer around here to say that open-flame-shrinking is the leading cause of premature death in cats though.

I always say you should do what works for you.

-Rog
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Add another vote for the soldering iron at temp method. It doesn't even have to touch the heat shrink.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

I tried using a soldering iron without much success.

(I think I have a 30-35W soldering iron.)

Do you guys think that this would do the trick?:

http://kipkay.com/videos/laser-flashlight-hack

It's powerful enough to light a match, which to the best I can figure out is around 325 degrees.

I don't know if that will do the trick for heat shrink, though.

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

Tchail wrote: Do you guys think that this would do the trick?:

It's powerful enough to light a match, which to the best I can figure out is around 325 degrees.

Well, I think the (ratio of risk of damage to person):(potential for successfully shrinking heat shrink) would be unacceptably high... Also bear in mind a laser has a pretty narrow beam, and its ability to heat things up depends largely on how much of the light they absorb rather than reflect...

Personally I use fire to shrink heat shrink. I don't think it's the best solution really, but I don't use a lot of heat shrink, either... I think some kind of hot air gun would probably be the way to go.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Tchail wrote:
Don't know what it would do to heat shrink, but an errant reflection will cause permanent eye damage - minor stuff like blindness. Leave the stupid stuff to the stupid people; they do it better.

If the soldering iron method isn't working, it's probably the heat shrink. You can get a small heat gun. designed for heat shrink tubing. Some butane torches have a heat spreader adapter that works really well at shrinking heat shrink. You can use the butane torch without the heat spreader if you're careful, too.

Frank
walter

Post by walter »

Tchail wrote:I tried using a soldering iron without much success.

(I think I have a 30-35W soldering iron.)

Do you guys think that this would do the trick?:

-Tchail
I have a very cheap soldering iron ( $1 at the 99 cent store) and it works very good with heat shrink tube. Allso look in the hardware store for the heat shrink tube it is about 1/3 the price of Radio Shack.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I use one of these with this attachment. Works fine.
Abolish Alliteration
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

I have had success with the Hobbico heat gun used to apply monocote covering on R/C planes.

http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar7000.html

Glen
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

rocketrider wrote:I have had success with the Hobbico heat gun used to apply monocote covering on R/C planes.

http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar7000.html

Glen
That's what I use. Works well.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

Call me lazy but I just use the sharp tip of my soldering iron and literally rub it against the tubing wall on most sides until it shrinks. :D
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Why not simply hold the parts over a hot stove? I've done this with much success and it works most of the time (just don't try it near the kit parts).
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

I think even a small hair dryer will work with this stuff. You dont need a high temperature, just a goodly amount.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

I just picked up a pack of heat-shrink tube from the Shack. I used a Bic Lighter. Works fine.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Madman Lighting wrote:I think even a small hair dryer will work with this stuff. You dont need a high temperature, just a goodly amount.
Yup - a hair dryer works fine.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I have had the same issue in regards to heat shrinking around fiber optics to hold them together. The FO just curled and I was a good 6 inches above the flame.

Tired the flame and a heat gun :( but would be interested in knowing what would work with heat shrinking around FO.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

starmanmm wrote:I have had the same issue in regards to heat shrinking around fiber optics to hold them together. The FO just curled and I was a good 6 inches above the flame.

Tired the flame and a heat gun :( but would be interested in knowing what would work with heat shrinking around FO.
I don't many issues - just keep the business end of the heat gun further away than you normally would - just close enough to get the shrink shrinking - even if it takes longer
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

starmanmm wrote:I have had the same issue in regards to heat shrinking around fiber optics to hold them together. The FO just curled and I was a good 6 inches above the flame.

I do that all the time. Just use the side of a low wattage soldering iron and hold it a couple millimeters away or just brush the heat shrink with the iron.

Plastic fiber is heat sensitive, thats how we can "flare" the ends to make neat little lenses.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Easiest solution is to just use black electrical tape! :D

Seriously though, 99% time I use a Bic lighter or a small tea/votive candle. For doing FO you just have to have the heat source further away. It will take longer for the HST to activate but you will not melt the FO as easily. I have also used electrical tape on FO before adding the HST. This further insulates the FO from heat damage.