Krylon Clear Coat Incompatibilities?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jcd132

Krylon Clear Coat Incompatibilities?

Post by jcd132 »

Anyone ever have problems spraying Krylon clearcoats over Testors colors? I recently had a model paint finish totally get screwed up after I sprayed a can of Krylon matt finish over the Testors color and off-brand name gloss coat. The paint wrinkled up in several locations, primarily where the matt coat was thicker. Apparently there was a reaction with the underlying gloss coat or Testors color paint, both of which had had several days to dry. Any idea what happened?
Last edited by jcd132 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Yep. Been there, wearing the T-shirt. :evil:

#1 Testor's enamels take FOREVER to cure completely. And, Yes, they need to be absolutely 100% cured before you clear over them.

#2 Krylon Clear contains a very "hot" thinner that will soften the underlying paint layers. I've also seen this destroy decals that have not been coated.

These are both reasons I use almost exclusively acrylic paints on models. Being water-based, when they're dry, they're cured - no waiting days for the paint to finish out-gassing. Also, I have had better luck with Testor's Clear coats, or if you prefer the hardware store paints, check out the Excel Colour Vision line. Also enamel/lacquer, but not nearly as "hot" as the Krylon.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
jcd132

Post by jcd132 »

Thanks for the confirmation. I usually use acrylic clearcoats sprayed with an airbrush, but I just have been lazy lately. Sometimes it just seems easier to get the spray cans out. Learned a good lesson this time. I'll avoid the Krylon stuff in the future, at least when spraying on Testors products.
Jay
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

How about old style Krylon matt fixative? Or clear fix? Different formula meant for protecting artwork?
Spacephrawg

Post by Spacephrawg »

en'til Zog wrote:How about old style Krylon matt fixative? Or clear fix? Different formula meant for protecting artwork?
that stuff is a bad idea. It isn't even archival 8>/
When life gives you lemons, don't despair. no one gives me lemons
jonmarcus

Post by jonmarcus »

I found out the hard way that Walmart's ColorPlace clear spray enamel should not be used on clear parts. My TOS Viper has a permanently frosted canopy. :(
Ah well. Live and learn.
" As for what you want .... it has been noted and logged." Capt. Kirk.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

jonmarcus wrote:I found out the hard way that Walmart's ColorPlace clear spray enamel should not be used on clear parts. My TOS Viper has a permanently frosted canopy. :(
Ah well. Live and learn.
Lesson of the day - NEVER Clear Coat your Clear parts!
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK