How do I remove thick curved resin sensors from RU Eagle?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Dark Star

How do I remove thick curved resin sensors from RU Eagle?

Post by Dark Star »

I didn't get any bites on the British Invasion thread so I hope it is ok to ask this here regarding Replica's Unlimitted 23" Eagle resin kit:

I have the older kit but did get ahold of the one piece module cone vs the two piece one the kit originally came out with. The sensors (4) are pre molded in but I have a set of the aluminum ones I want to use. Here's my problem:

What would be a good way to remove the old sensor area of this part of the cone? It is thick, rounded and not easy to reach from the inside. This is not a small hole and the pre molded kit sensors on the sides are not round but rather an oval shape requiring more work to fit the round aluminun sensors in properly. I'm not even sure how the curved adges of the pod around the pre molded oval shape of the sensors are even going to be able to accommodate the larger rounded sensors. I'm not sure but it seems like this part of the pod should have been wider?

To add even more difficulty, the center has that small round raised area which would make it even harder to get a drill centered and keep from making a mess. I'm sure it would crack fairly easy .

Here's a shot we've all seen that explains how the correct sensors should look:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/eagle39.jpg

The side area between the top and bottom window or indents look much wider on the real version vs the RU kit.

The same goes with the top windows, although probably much easier to cut out, this is some very thick resin.

Lastly does anyone still make the replacement cone for this kit? I remember someone did one that was supposed to be more accurate but I can't find it anywhere.

I just don't want to mess this one up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
"I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury."
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Have you tried RU and asking him to cast you the new command module halves?

I'm sure you know the website, eagletransporter.com. Tons of information there.

If that doesn't work, try smallartworks.ca and inquire about his custom work.

I hope this helps.

TazMan2000
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

If you have not already try this forum-
http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/

This is the largest group of experts in all things Eagle andthey have dealt with vrtually every problem you can think of. (Jim Small is a member ther also).
It is easy to join and everyone there is eager to help.

"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/