How would you build this? (UFO beam)

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

How would you build this? (UFO beam)

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

Here’s what I need: In a cylinder about 1 ½ “ in diameter, and about 1” tall, I need to create a light that is bright enough to shine through about a foot of colored acrylic rod to create a beam effect. I was thinking an LED penlight, modified to fit.

OR

How ‘bout a green laser pointer, 15-35mw, mounted in same dimensions as above, modified to have the switch about a foot away. Will the beam melt a painted piece of styrene at about one foot range? From what I'd read it'd take around 75mw to actually melt plastics.

Just an informal poll to have you guys bounce ideas off me. How would YOU do it?

Thanks!

Chris
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
mastermodelreview

Post by mastermodelreview »

Just put small candle under it, with a small laptop fan on top (pointing away from the candle) then just drop some magnesium powder and lighter fluid on it once and a while to enjoy real melting beam effect. :)
Aluminum-hydroxide adjuvant in vaccines can stay at the site of the injection for years, continuously stimulating an immune response, this high-alert state exhausts the body's resources. Aluminum hydroxide vaccine adjuvant the squalene found in the Anthrax Vaccine, provides an explanation for Gulf War Syndrome. Deployment of Black Helicopter/Tin foil hat libel is consent.
tetsujin

Re: How would you build this? (UFO beam)

Post by tetsujin »

TheIrishAvenger wrote:How ‘bout a green laser pointer, 15-35mw, mounted in same dimensions as above, modified to have the switch about a foot away. Will the beam melt a painted piece of styrene at about one foot range?
I doubt it - but be careful, there's liability issues that come into play if you take your laser to model shows and such... Inadvertently taking in too much of the light could really hurt someone's eyes, after all...
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I'd look up a couple of really bright LEDs, or a single killer bright one like the G16642 ( $2.49 @ ) from the Electronic Goldmine (www.goldmine-elec.com) which puts out 265,000 MCD at 3.4 to 3.8 VDC at 100 mA (yeah, 265 Candella). That's actully the power drain of an old time flashlight bulb, but a whale of a lot more light output.

I think you can power it with a suitable 3.6 volt lithium primary cell (nonrechargable).

They also have some very nice 5mm WHITE ones that just need 3.6 VDC at 20 mA that should work too.
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You'd also want to look for narrow angle LEDs. If the acrylic is water clear tho' you'll get no beam effect.
Abolish Alliteration
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Yep. You'll want one super bright LED, and you'll want to frost the acrylic rod to give the light something to scatter around on and produce a nice glow. No need for a laser, it'd be too bright.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Is the beam expected to hold any weight? If not, why not try one of those colored transarencies they use in schools, and put the LED in the top/bottom of one of those?

If it is supposed to hold some weight, then try a colored hamster tunnel, and cut to fit.

EDIT: Oops I just re-read it, you already have the rod. So why go all high tech? Just tear apart an old flashlight, and use the bulb from that.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I've seen some really nice scale sheets of water done with thin plastic film, like dry cleaner bags, dipped in clear resin. Something like that could work- check out model railroad sources for waterfall how-tos, and model ship sources for "green sea". No need for a real death ray, just the illusion of one! Just a suggestion.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Maybe put the light at the bottom and have a mirror at the top? Or at least have a mirror at the bottom to bounce more light back up the tunnel/rod.
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

en'til Zog wrote:Maybe put the light at the bottom and have a mirror at the top? Or at least have a mirror at the bottom to bounce more light back up the tunnel/rod.

I second that. It allows for a bigger 'bulb' (in both physical size and power consumption) and avoids the 'wire up the rod' problem.

For a whole foot of rod, it'll be difficult to keep the light from being uneven, but hey, nothing is perfect. You may get different results if you use instead of a mirror on the model's end, a bit of white/silver paint or a reflective sticker (there would be a slightly stronger glow concentrated on the model's bottom, making it look like that's the origin of the 'energy'). Look for high output LEDs, like Luxeon™.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

Well, looks like I"m gonna go with a blue tinted acrylic cylinder and mount the LED's at the top end. I did some experimenting with this and it puts off a pretty good glow of light at the bottom, even without using a mirror or any amplification device, so the "abductee" figure will be nicely lit. I have the UFO lighting yet to do, but that should be easy. I worked on windows and lightboxes last night and today. Lookin' good. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Chris
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
davidlgreen

Post by davidlgreen »

i believe PLASTRUCT sells colored acrylic tubing. and lots of other cool stuff.
free downloadable catalog
not enough LDS

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on whats for dinner
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

Basically, what you're doing is almost like what I did. For a lightsaber.

If you can, try to get a hollow acrylic tube and then, try to sand the inner walls. When you put in a bright LED or even a 1watt Luxeon, you would get a nice straight beam.

http://www.chowfookcheong.com/Lightsaber/Lightsaber.htm
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks