Best method for stripping a resin kit

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Best method for stripping a resin kit

Post by Lonewolf »

And no, don't tell me that dinner and a movie works best . . . . :D

I have a resin kit that I need to completely strip and start over again. I was in the process of building a Steamrunner and had a major mishap. I'd coated the upper and lower surfaces of the kit with Future, applied the decals, and re-applied the Future. But on the lower surface, I didn't let the Future cure long enough before I tipped the ship upright and put it on its stand. The result was that the Future pulled away from the recessed sections, and when I sprayed on the topcoat of DullCote, it stripped the ship right through the (mostly non-existant) Future, paint and primer, right down to the bare blue resin. :oops:

So . . . . I have to completely strip the kit, including the PNT detail decals that were applied and sealed. Normally I'd consider using Castrol Super Clean (which I have used before, and already have a jug of), but I don't know if Castrol will be too powerful and harm the resin.

I have to cut through:

a. DullCote
b. Future
c. Decals
d. Future
e. Acrylic paint (airbrushed)
f. Sandable acrylic automobile primer

Can I use the Castrol, or should I be safe and go with something like Simple Green? Or is there something else I should consider? I've got a copy of the Bone Digger's article on stripping kits, but the article deals with styrene kits, so I'm not quite sure what to use on resin.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me!

Rich
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
mech

Post by mech »

I've used Simple Green and it has worked beautifully, even through multiple layers of my ham fisted paint and decal work. The Endeavour I gave you was stripped, twice, using Simple Green. It required additional soak time, but it didn't harm the resin. The upside, imo, is that Simple Green is safe to use with out a hazmat suit.
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Super Clean is your friend. Trust the Super Clean.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Ditto the Super Clean - it'll pull any paint off anything

Just wear gloves when working with it
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I have a pair of heavy-duty rubber gloves that I always use when working with Super Clean. I just didn't know if SC would harm resin. I've used it before on styrene and vinyl without a problem.

Looks like the Steamrunner will be heading into a Super Clean bath this weekend. Should be nice weather outside, so I can set up the rubber tub I use in the shed, leave the doors open, and let 'er soak for about three hours or so, and see how she looks. I also have an old toothbrush around here somewhere that I've used for spot-scrubbing.

Ok . . . . thanks for the help!
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.