How to thin CA glue?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Alex Dumas

How to thin CA glue?

Post by Alex Dumas »

My 'thin' CA glue is getting thicker after a few weeks. Is there a way to thin it back? Acetone, water, alcohol, nail remover?
Alex
scihighmodels.com
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

With a thinner CA....

I've never tried any solvent, but I'd be wary of acetone.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

Unfortunately, I won't have my Zap Thin CA untill a few days but I have a thicker CA left...

I have heard that water or alcohol can be used to thin CA but somehow I am septical. I guess I will try a few things and see for myself.

The real reason why I need very thin CA glue is because I want to apply it as a sealer onto a tacky resin spot that as not fully cured on my model (the primer just wont adhere and stays wet...) Any alternative is more than welcome.
Alex
scihighmodels.com
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Moisture is the catalyst for CA, so water is out. Drop a drop in a glass of water, and you'll see it cures so quick it forms a CA "bubble" full of glue inside.

Dunno about any types of alcohol; the stuff is is basically fast RTV acrylic plastic.

You mention needing to take care of a "Tacky" resin spot. What about applying a drop of CA over the area and dropping a lump of baking soda on it? Sand immediately and see if that floats your boat.

I would try acetone, methylene chloride, nitromethane, or MEK. Those are solvents for some types of CA. They soften up a lot of plastics, but too much may keep the CA from curing.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Buy smaller bottles of CA. :P

Alcohol works pretty well for Epoxy, but I don't think it does anything for CA.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Alvis 3.1

Post by Alvis 3.1 »

I don't know of anything to thin CA, and wouldn't experiment on a model unless you're really in a hurry. Rushing, for me, usually leads to disaster, removal of large areas of a model, or such a total mess it can be unsalvagable. I'd wait if possible, it's your most safe answer.

Alvis 3.1
Semper Fried!
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Alex Dumas wrote:The real reason why I need very thin CA glue is because I want to apply it as a sealer onto a tacky resin spot that as not fully cured on my model (the primer just wont adhere and stays wet...) Any alternative is more than welcome.
Is it a part that someone can make a good copy for you, or is it a "main hull" kind of thing? PM me if you need some help...
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

Stu Pidasso wrote: Is it a part that someone can make a good copy for you, or is it a "main hull" kind of thing? PM me if you need some help...
Thanks for the offer! It's actually a part I have mastered and cast myself. I am trying to save a sub-assembly with quite a few parts in it ...in which one as a subtle tacky spot along its seem line.

HOWEVER, I might have nailed it! I applied a small coat of Wave Black CA and lightly sanded the area without removing too much CA (the glue seems to have melted and solidified with the tacky spot...) I just applied a new coat of primer and it seems to work. I will wait till tomorrow morning to be sure though [-o<

And thanks to all for your advices!
Alex
scihighmodels.com
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

WAVE black CA is truly ambrosia. I thin it with super-thin CA for this kind of coating, it's just amazing.

Remember you can get thin CA at hardware stores too, in little "Krazy Glue" tubes, if you just need a little for thinning it might be enough.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

I confirm that WAVE Black CA worked perfectly last night (no tacky spot anymore!) :D

So forget about everything else and go get a bottle of that glue!!! I have been using it for a while now as a glue and filler (it sands pretty well contrary to other CA glue). Fantastic product!

SSM store has it (or used to) if I am not mistake.
Alex
scihighmodels.com