Tiny Little Windows

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Paul Wagner

Tiny Little Windows

Post by Paul Wagner »

Normally, I pretty well ignore tiny little windows on large starships. But I'm about finished a Romulan warbird with nice, deeply etched windows, and have seen several built ones where these are nicely filled in with white. Is there any special trick or technique for colouring tiny little windows?

Paul
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I just use a cocktail stick or round tootpick.

Also, I don't use straight white. I always tint it slightly with yellow or blue or I use iridescent/pearlescent white.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The trick I learned is to use white oils on a gloss surface. Dab some in, wipe away the excess.
Abolish Alliteration
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

If the windows are recessed, I just take some white enamel and thin it down to about milk consistency. Then I take a fine brush and dip it in the paint, it should flow right off the brush and into the window recess quite nicely. Clean your brush occasionally if you are doing a lot of windows as it won't work as well if the paint starts to dry out. The paint also flows better if you spray the model with a gloss coating beforehand.
Another good trick is to use a white gel ink pen, any excess wipes off with water.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"