A Wide Question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kylwell

A Wide Question

Post by Kylwell »

Ok, I'm just about used up all my Google-fu looking for this. I'm looking for a wide, low-tack tape, much like the vaunted Tamiya tape, available online in singles and up to 6 inches wide. Even 4 in would do.

The other big trick it it can't give off toxic fumes when burned. Which leaves out vinyl as it tends to out gas chlorine compounds when burned.
Abolish Alliteration
photoguy

Re: A Wide Question

Post by photoguy »

Kylwell wrote:The other big trick it it can't give off toxic fumes when burned. Which leaves out vinyl as it tends to out gas chlorine compounds when burned.
That just piqued my interest... you're doing WHAT with your tape?

Seriously though, there was a thread a few months back about a "knock-off" painters tape that was very similar to the Tamiya, sold at the local painting supply stores, and was around $6 for a 100' rolls. And it came in all sorts of widths up to about 6".

I'd check your local Sherwin Williams dealer.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
macfrank

Re: A Wide Question

Post by macfrank »

photoguy wrote: Seriously though, there was a thread a few months back about a "knock-off" painters tape that was very similar to the Tamiya, sold at the local painting supply stores, and was around $6 for a 100' rolls. And it came in all sorts of widths up to about 6".

I'd check your local Sherwin Williams dealer.
I bought some of that tape. It looks like Tamiya tape, feels like Tamiya tape but it absolutely does NOT stick like Tamiya tape! It may be a great low residue masking tape for house painting, but the tape doesn't stick well to anything. It's not useful in modeling.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I came to the same conclusion on some of this type of tape. It's great for painting your house, not so great for models. I'm sticking with Tamiya.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Any particular reason you need one that's burnable? They do make some high-temp Kapton and polyamide tapes with acrylic and silicone adhesives, or they make a Polyethylene clean release in 6" and 12" widths.

Have you tried the McMaster-Carr catalog? That's where I found the above.

Ken
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've found some spiffy sounding automotive masking tapes in wide widths but they'll only sell them in case lots (and @ $13 a roll...).

Why burnable, well I need to be able to cut it with a laser which leaves out most plastic based tapes. Flooding the cutting area with inert gas will help but paper it the pooh when laser cutting.

I didn't think of pulling my McMaster-Carr catalog out. I'll see what they have.
Abolish Alliteration
jeffrowse

Post by jeffrowse »

Kylwell wrote:I've found some spiffy sounding automotive masking tapes in wide widths but they'll only sell them in case lots (and @ $13 a roll...).
Why not pop down your local auto body shop and ask if they have any left over? You never know, if you can offer them a little financial incentive, you might get some good stuff off the end of the rolls they use. (alternatively, wait 'til they close up and go home and then sneak round to their dumpster... :shock: :oops: )
"No, no, no! We're Ethically-Challenged Merchants with Negotiable Morals! We are NOT pirates!" - Capt. Lauren Michaels, owner-aboard IMV Valkyrie
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Check with a body shop supply store--I also found great sandpaper there...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin