CCFLs

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

RossW

CCFLs

Post by RossW »

I'm about to experiment with using CCFLs in the nacelles of my 1/350 Refit, and I'm wondering if there are any good reference sites for using them. I'm specifically wondering if you can extend the leads (I would want the inverters to be on the outside of the ship) and if the common wires from the two nacelles can be wired together in the ship.

Thoughts? Comments? Gotchas?
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

The bulbs can be wired in parallel if one inverter can handle
supplying both bulbs. Do not wire out put from the two
inverters together... Be aware that the output from the inverters
are AC, and up to 500 volts.

The input to the inverters can be wired to the power
source in parallel.

Extending the leads from the bulbs to the inverters could add
more resistance to the circuit. This could cause the bulbs to
be dim, or not light at all. Get your circuit set up, and test it
prior to permantly assembling the model.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

I'm here by declare this thread hijacked! :D

Some time ago I found <this> wee CCFL tube inside some form of hand held electronic organizer/calendar/Compaq-something. I have been thinking of using it for some sort of particle beam weapon or light saber. Problem is I have misplaced the rest of the circuits that came with it. This one says 300 V on the lead covering plastic strip but also AWM 20783, 105 C and VW-1. Important? ( I googled that just now and realise that is just about the lead
). I do have an inverter for a much bigger CCFL (from my pimp-my-computer days) but it gives out a bit over 400 V. Can I put a resistor in series with the tube, assuming the 300 V is an upper limit for the tube as well?
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Good News! I found the driver but the ten input leads aren't helping. :(
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

For CCFLs, the best source I know of is old scanners. You know, the kind you ditch when you get a digital camera, or the kind that is part of a multi-function combo alongside a printer which you ditch because you bought a new, WiFi-enabled one.

You get a CCFL lamp, plus some greeblies. Win-win scenario.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.