Cleaning files

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

seam-filler

Cleaning files

Post by seam-filler »

I usually use a file card or a brass wire (suede) brush together with either french chalk or cornflour to clean my files. But a joiner friend of mine pointed me towards one I haven't heard before...

Normal everyday garden hose. Yup, the green stuff. Cut a bit off & rub the cut end up & down and across your file and it will come up almost perfectly clean.

More than that, you can even use the same technique to revive sandpaper, wet & dry paper and even sanding pads & sticks. It works really well for coarser stuff, but will unclog even the really fine stuff.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Brilliant! Thank your friend for the idea. I am going to get a bit off of the spicket line out in the field (don't tell the wife!). :D

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

It does, of course, depend on what your file is clogged with. You can also heat files in a flame to melt/burn out crud (not so hot that you destroy the temper of the file) or simply file a piece of mild steel edge on.
There is no such word as "casted" or "recasted". The past tense of "cast" is still "cast". Only bisexually hermaphrodites add the "ed". - Churchill August 1942.

"Lose" = Mislay/Fail to win.
"Loose" = Slack/Not tight - John Lennon June 81
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I've tried it with styrene, ABS, resin, milliput, AVES, brass, aluminium, mild steel, stainless steel and air-dried clay. The hose brings them up clean every time.

I've never has nuch success declogging a file by heating it. Really fine needle files lose their temper really easily and shatter (I've had it happen) and I've not found it to work very well.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
stephenmorphey

Post by stephenmorphey »

Hi seam-filler.

I also have the same problem like how to clean the files because that files sometimes lose easily. TO come out of this problem, files and directories may pile up in your working directory that are left over from merges, generated, perhaps got mistakenly put there. Whatever the case, you don’t need to ignore them, you just need to remove them and go ahead.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

stephenmorphey wrote:TO come out of this problem, files and directories may pile up in your working directory that are left over from merges, generated, perhaps got mistakenly put there. Whatever the case, you don’t need to ignore them, you just need to remove them and go ahead.
Exactly!

:roll:

-Rog
Pandaphil

Post by Pandaphil »

stephenmorphey wrote:Hi seam-filler.

I also have the same problem like how to clean the files because that files sometimes lose easily. TO come out of this problem, files and directories may pile up in your working directory that are left over from merges, generated, perhaps got mistakenly put there. Whatever the case, you don’t need to ignore them, you just need to remove them and go ahead.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson...

I don't suppose theres anything you can just soak them in overnight to remove all that old plastic and filler? I just don't happen to have a piece of garden hose lying around. Although I suppose I could sneak over to the neighbors... ;)
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
amandacaron

Post by amandacaron »

Pandaphil wrote:
I don't suppose theres anything you can just soak them in overnight to remove all that old plastic and filler?
Acetone based or "regular" nail polish remover. It has enough acetone to soften stuff including CA, but they wont flash rust when they dry.

soak the files overnight and hit them with a plastic brush/old toothbrush real quick.