Need a shopping list of electronics for the AMT Enterprise D

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Need a shopping list of electronics for the AMT Enterprise D

Post by SJM »

Hi all, been modelling a while with paints but have not touched lighting so far. I looked at my AMT Enterprise D kit and just said "Well this baby has to be lit up!" So here I am.

Sorry if some of this has come up already, I just thought it easier to get it all done in one post.

I've seen some great work done with cold cathode tubes and I think thats the way to go. Those fibre optics look a little too small for my purpose.

On my shopping list so far in some blue cathode tubes; to be used for window lights as well as two tubes for the warp engines. This ok?

I'll no doubt need some LEDs for the bussards etc so thats ok.

Also size; two four inch tubes for the nacelles? I'm still unsure as to what size, and quantity to use for the primary and secondary hulls. Any pointers would be helpful.

Sorry again if some of this has already come up. This new world of lighting is very confusing to me so any help would be great.

Thanks,
Scott.
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Well, you could use my Starship Lighting Kit here: http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/index.cf ... ct_ID=1230

Its intended for most "normal" scale Trek ships and should light up your Ent-D just fine. Questions or comments? Please ask.

Thanks,

-John C.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

Thanks, didn't even realise anyone replied to this thread. I'm looking at doing the electronics myself, a bit of a fun challenge, but thanks for the tip.
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

I'm still putting together the lighting plan for my Enterprise D, but here's what I have planned so far:

4 - 5mm Red leds for the bussard collectors

1 - 5mm Red led for the main impulse engine

8 - 1.8mm Red leds for the port running lights.

8 - 1.8mm Green leds for the starboard running lights.

1 - 3mm Red led for the fantail running light, using fiber optic.

1 - 3mm Green led for the fantail running light, using fiber optic

6 - 1.8mm White leds for the other running lights, including the blinking lights.

1 - 4"x6" Experimenters Kit from Miller Engineering for the nacelles, using the supplemental parts by DLM.

I'm using a LED flasing kit from All Electronics to provide blinking lights behind the bridge and on the bottom of the secondary hull, just in front of the rear tractor beam. But I'm substituting 1.8mm white leds for the ones supplied with the kit.

I've also purchased 100 - 5mm White leds for the windows, though I haven't yet figured out how to mount these inside the kit.

At the moment, I'm still removing panel lines. Then I'll move onto drilling out the windows...

My 2 1/2 cents,

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
SJM

Post by SJM »

Have you thought about using CCFLs instead for the windows? Might be a little easier than using LEDs.

Tranya Addict.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Hey SJM,

Actually, I hadn't considered that route.

But looking on Evilbay, it seems as though you can get 2x 6" tubes for $5 + shipping.

The Miller Engineering kit uses a 4.5V circuit.

By using LEDs, it looks like you can keep the voltage fairly low, instead of using a 12V power supply.

Why do you think using CCFLs would be a little easier than using LEDs?

(Other than reducing the amount of soldering.)

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
SJM

Post by SJM »

Well I can't speak from experience, but one CCFL tube would light the entire saucer section, all you would need to do is fill the windows with a clear resin. They make great windows. Just seems like less of a headache to use one source of light. I would ask around here, because a lot of people have pulled off some great results using CCFLS.

Sorry I can't help more.

Tranya Addict.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Hey SJM,

The book "Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy, 2nd Edition" has a great article on lighting the Enterprise D.

http://www.amazon.com/Famous-Spaceships ... 0890245630

But at the time the book was written, CCFLs weren't avaiable, so the author used small florescent tubes - 1 for the saucer, 1 angled upwards for the neck and secondary hull, and one for each nacelle.

If you have the chance, you should check it out.

-Tchail
walter

Post by walter »

SJM wrote:Well I can't speak from experience, but one CCFL tube would light the entire saucer section, all you would need to do is fill the windows with a clear resin. They make great windows. Just seems like less of a headache to use one source of light. I would ask around here, because a lot of people have pulled off some great results using CCFLS.

Sorry I can't help more.
The pics I have seen it looks like the windows close to the end of the tube do not get as much light and look dark
CaptOchs

RE

Post by CaptOchs »

SJM wrote:Well I can't speak from experience, but one CCFL tube would light the entire saucer section, all you would need to do is fill the windows with a clear resin. They make great windows. Just seems like less of a headache to use one source of light. I would ask around here, because a lot of people have pulled off some great results using CCFLS.

Sorry I can't help more.
I went a little economical lighting mine. I bought a 50 White LED x-mas strand and bundled it into the saucer & engineering hulls. The nacelles were lit with two LEDs each. The secret is to use Don's Clear Colored Warp Engines from http://www.dlmparts.com/tngparts.html. These are a must if you plan to light the engines. They evenly distribute light to make a great effect. You can see my model on youtube. Search "USS Odyssey Model" by CaptainOaks. Not saying you have to do yours like mine, just an option.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

walter wrote:The pics I have seen it looks like the windows close to the end of the tube do not get as much light and look dark
Just use a ring of three 4" tubes.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!