DLM Warp Waddell system

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

NathanJ

DLM Warp Waddell system

Post by NathanJ »

First of all I have to say this is a great kit and reasonably priced if you buy the upgrade parts. My problem is I can't get the ion pods to strobe. The nav lights are working fine, but I can not get those lights to blink at all! Thanks in advance.
Last edited by NathanJ on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RossW

Post by RossW »

Not to be picky, but that's "Waddell" :) Only mention it as Don named it after me as we worked on it together.

Do you have a voltmeter? Can you see if any current is on the output of the 3909 strobe pin?
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Oh, my apologies sir! I was an AC troubleshooting guy, I have a fluke 322. Hanging head in shame which one is pin 3909? I am assuming it is off the chip. Will check the base solder joints again.
RossW

Post by RossW »

3909 is the strobe chip; I think it's an 8-pin IC but I can't remember which ones are the + and - outputs. From the web, I see:

Fit the LED to pins 6 and 8. The short LED leg (cathode) goes to pin 8. The long LED leg (anode) goes to pin 6.

Make sure you are getting around 1.5 VDC between those two pins (on/off of course; it is a strobe :).
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

LM3909? THAT chip? Wow. :shock:

I used that chip years ago for a blinky project. Neat little part, easy to use too. Where do you get them? I thought they didnt make them anymore.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Madman Lighting wrote:LM3909? THAT chip? Wow. :shock:

I used that chip years ago for a blinky project. Neat little part, easy to use too. Where do you get them? I thought they didnt make them anymore.
I think Don said that he laid in a collection of them just before you couldn't get them anymore

That's why none of us can get them anymore - he hoarded the entire remaining quantity :P

That's ok, I still like the 555 - gives me more control
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

I just hope I can get it to work! LOL
RossW

Post by RossW »

Indeed, I'm the one responsible for the worldwide LM3909 shortage. When I was working on the board with Don many eons ago, I mentioned that a local surplus store (Active Surplus on Queen W in downtown Toronto) had a bunch of 'em; I scooped them up and sent them to Don.

What I loved about this chip was how easy it was to get a great looking strobe effect (triangular sine wave). With a 555, I've only ever been able to get a square wave, i.e. 'blinky'. Nowadays, I just use a programmable PIC to do a strobe ...
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

Ah, the LM3909. It was a fun chip to play because all you ever needed was a capacitor and a resistor to run an LED (it had a voltage booster, I think). Just plug an AA battery in there and it will blink the LED for a few weeks.

The chip went obsolete last millenium and against the still going strong 555, the only application I ever saw was those "torch finders". Perhaps its due to the "limited" market.

But it was also the best quick solution circuit when I wanted a blinkie in a tight space (before SMD technology was available to the masses)
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks