lightning?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

MrNobudy

lightning?

Post by MrNobudy »

does anyone know of something that could be used to simulate lightning? i didnt know if fiber optics would work, i know they have a good point of light on the end, but im looking for something that lights up all around.
kinda like those glow necklaces that kids can get around halloween?
Part of the Lowest Common Denominator and エッチ の は proud of it!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

You mean EL Glow wire?

This is a UK stockist
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
MrNobudy

Post by MrNobudy »

Yeah, thats kinda what i'm thinking. anyone ever use that for stuff? i would be concerned it would be too thick to portray it accuratly...
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

It works great for warp engines, but I don't know about lightnig strikes (BTW you can get white EL wire) - methinks that the glow may be a bit sift for what you want.

The big problem with EL stuff is that although the wire or sheet is cool, the inverter (converts DC to AC) gets rather hot, so is not ideal for the inside of a plastic model.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
MrNobudy

Post by MrNobudy »

if the plan pans out, it wont be in the plastic, this is just for environment of the idea.