Chinese fiber optics?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Madman Lighting

Chinese fiber optics?

Post by Madman Lighting »

I'm checking out a Chinese vendor for fiber optics and wondering if anyone has any experience with Chinese made fibers. The obvious reason I'm checking is cost. The hard thing to determine, is of course, quality.

thanks!

-John C.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

The only thing I can tell you is after you try it, you'll be hungry again in about an hour.

Oh wait...

Ok, I'll go

Seriously, I'd be willing to bet money that the fiber packed in those lighting kits AMT/ERTL used a few years back were probably from China. That should give you a pretty good guage of quality. Isn't that the same stuff you already use?
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

MMMM.... kung pow fiber!

Actually I use Japanese made fiber right now. Its really good stuff, maybe even good enough for some medical or industrial use. Believe it or not I'm still working through the first spool I bought four years ago!

-JC.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
kitty

Post by kitty »

The mitsubishi 250µM multistrand jacketed plastic fibreoptic cable is produced in China.
It's used in Philips Medical Systems equipment amongst other things.

Like all other countries, China produces good quality stuff and bad quality stuff.
The only way to get a good estimate on the quality would be to get a sample.

You might want to look into India based companies too, they are the upcoming country for electronics and communication components and China isn't that cheap anymore.
Democracy may be only a few steps removed from anarchy,
But at least it's not as loud.
You broke your little ships. See you around Ahab. :spock:
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I was doing a search online yesterday for bulk sources of fiber too. How weird is that.

I've ordered LEDs from a Chinese source before. Strip LED tape and some 'regular LEDs. They list both high quality and low quality LEDs in their vast catalog of LEDs. So you can get whatever suits your application and cost structure.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
No_6

Post by No_6 »

WEll, I've had good luck ordering LEDs from China off evil bay [links removed], All my fiber optics, I buy from here: [links removed].

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send you the info.
Last edited by No_6 on Sun May 03, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a number.
JWattsJr

Post by JWattsJr »

No_6,

Thanks for the links. Order sent. :D

Jeff
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Try my the link in my signature line(which has no references to sex,drugs,or politics). :wink:
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Newbie Doobie wrote:Try my the link in my signature line(which has no references to sex,drugs,or politics). :wink:

But it does have "Hydroponics" equipment and "Grow lights"... Ms. Doobie. :wink: I'm sure it's widely used to grow petunias. :smoke:
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Doobie. It's not a reference to drugs,but rather to rhyme with Newbie - to sound cute. For all those that wish to know what a Doobie is click here.
dsl40083

Post by dsl40083 »

That fiberoptics webpage hurts my eyes!

The wording on the page (sounds like we are all idiots) and the broken links don't give me the confidence to order anything from the company.

As a image of the company, it sends some very bad signals.