RUST ALL

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

leo limuaco

RUST ALL

Post by leo limuaco »

It's been a while. I need help! I was tasked to "junk out" a model for a friend and someone suggested RUST ALL. Has anyone tried it? Can you shoot it with an airbrush? Does it have to painted on? And is this product worth the time and money? Thanks to all who answer these questions.
The Mad Klingon

Post by The Mad Klingon »

I purchased Rustall last year. I was working a StuG IV at the time and wanted to created a realistically rusted and burnt looking muffler. I had heard good things about the system and pictures of the weathered models sure looked good to me.

I followed the directions but was unable to create a realistic rusted look. I remember the "rust" bottle was very thin with just a few partcles at the bottom of the container - I expected a little more texture to mixture. The system also includes some fine grit (supposedly from their driveway) but that didn't seem to help. After several coats of the stuff, I gave up. I just couldn't get a textured surface.

Instead, I used Mr. Surfacer, a stiff brush and good ol' brown and orange paint to achieve the look I wanted.

Perhaps I was doing something wrong but I can't recommend the stuff. On a similar note, I had a similar situation with their product WeatherAll. Can't recommend that stuff either.
Ridged for her pleasure.

<a href="http://www.fpkclub.com/"> www.fpkclub.com</a>
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I had great success with the following...

Take some steel wool, soak it really well in some brine, take it out and put in an open container. After a few days loads of rust will appear. Shake the wool over a piece of paper and you can collect the rust dust. Any large particles can be crushed.

Either mix the rust into a varnish or future and brush on or spray on the varnish and sprinkle the rust onto the still-wet varnish.

Nothing looks better for rust than rust.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

seam-filler wrote:I had great success with the following...

Take some steel wool, soak it really well in some brine, take it out and put in an open container. After a few days loads of rust will appear. Shake the wool over a piece of paper and you can collect the rust dust. Any large particles can be crushed.

Either mix the rust into a varnish or future and brush on or spray on the varnish and sprinkle the rust onto the still-wet varnish.

Nothing looks better for rust than rust.
Yup can't agree more. I have a large jar of ground ferrous oxide powder. I will find a suitable base paint color and paint the object and while it is still wet springle on the powder.

Rusty Dead Guy 1

Rusty Dead Guy 2

The powder lends to the matt effect you often see on rusted items.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Rustall lends itself to smaller scale work as it add very little texture. If you're wanting texture try Triangle Crafts Sophisticated Finishes. Rustall also works best on flat black, applying several oats over time. I also found that you've got to shake the crap out of it and be pretty heavy handed when applying it. The AC unit for P:SOZ was weathered with Rustall.
Abolish Alliteration
The Mad Klingon

Mark Yungblut wrote:...a large jar of ground ferrous oxide powder.
So where does one get a jar of the stuff?
Ridged for her pleasure.

Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Mine came from a pharmasutical supplier years ago. I imagine it can be purchased on line.

Or you can wait till NATs and I'll bring you some....

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The Mad Klingon wrote:
Mark Yungblut wrote:...a large jar of ground ferrous oxide powder.
So where does one get a jar of the stuff?
Any chemist....
Abolish Alliteration
The Mad Klingon

Mark Yungblut wrote:
Or you can wait till NATs and I'll bring you some....

Mark
I can wait. THANKS Mark.
Ridged for her pleasure.

DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

I've got a bag of it somewhere around here, Tom. If I can find it I'll split it with ya.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

... or just let some wet steel wool turn to rust?

Or find a neighbour with a rusty car and sneak out one night with a wire brush and a large envelope.... :twisted:
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Kylwell wrote:
The Mad Klingon wrote:So where does one get a jar of the stuff?
Any chemist....
"Excellent for Thermite"

Well then.

:|

-Rog