Need explanations or a new scann for an antique electronic

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

YOULI

Need explanations or a new scann for an antique electronic

Post by YOULI »

Hi guys and girls !

Here is my problem :

I bought years ago electronic parts for a star trek circuitry on Evil bay.

I did bought in the process a book that you all know about SFAM-4, that allow anyone with courage and skills to upgrade your AMT kit in a beautiful Enterprise Refit, accurate and all.

But i received a CD rom with files instead.
The problem is that the schematics to mount the electronic circuitry is too blury to understand anything.

Here are the pages :
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/ ... am4-11.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/ ... -13-14.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/ ... am4-47.jpg

I need a correct scann or indications to help a friend of mine complete the circuit.

Anyone ? Pleeeeease ? :)
1898 model kits so far (1/3 made by the way, but near 2205 with the doubles)... And counting... Am I mad or what ? ;)
chautau

Post by chautau »

I have two copies of that book, I can take a nice clear picture and send it to you. PM me your e-mail.

I think I have taken pictures accurate enough to see my finger prints, ask rogvillier. ;) :shock:
TimeScape wrote:
onezero wrote:It's also a fifty year old mold. They did the best they could - and our standards have improved since then.
And so have our expectations! A well engineered kit that is designed such that a blind folded monkey can make it look great. Where's the challenge?
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

chautau wrote:I think I have taken pictures accurate enough to see my finger prints
'Tis true! :8)

-Rog

EDIT:
chautau wrote:ask rogvillier.
Cool French spelling for the win! :)
YOULI

Post by YOULI »

Thanks ! :)

I'm looking forward for this scanns... ;)

That will proove to be useful, especially for my friend who will build this electronic stuff...

If it does half the things that were shown in the book, that will be awesome ! :)
1898 model kits so far (1/3 made by the way, but near 2205 with the doubles)... And counting... Am I mad or what ? ;)
DLMatthys
Location: "Fracking? Not in my back yard. Now get off my ranch!

Post by DLMatthys »

Wow! So nostalgic as I still have one of those boards and STAM-4 #267.
I've never built one of them though. And I probably won't because a lot of parts are obsolete and there is a circuit trace issue or two.

But I have some corrective notes from a sucessfull builder. He send me a video tape of the model when compleated. The video looks cool but not very authentic at least to mine eye. The warp nacelles grills ( inboard ) had a neat pluseing "energized" effect.
DL Matthys
don@dlmparts.com
http://www.dlmparts.com
Make it Glow!
chautau

Post by chautau »

Of course, the first three books from this have been republished together.

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/shop/produ ... 254&page=2

I was so hoping that the fourth one would have been republished too, especially with the release of the Polar Lights Enterprise kit.

Even if there are some errors in the diagrams, or the recommended parts are hard to find now, it is still a useful informative book.

Maybe we can convince Paul Newitt to republish the fourth one too?
TimeScape wrote:
onezero wrote:It's also a fifty year old mold. They did the best they could - and our standards have improved since then.
And so have our expectations! A well engineered kit that is designed such that a blind folded monkey can make it look great. Where's the challenge?
YOULI

Post by YOULI »

As was I... The fourth book could be so useful.

The electronic parts seems to be easy to find, and cheap... Cheaper than I thought.

The only problem is really the specification to build the circuit board, some electronic mind can understand, but i'm not one of them... :)
YOULI

Post by YOULI »

Hello guys.. Hope you didn't forget about me ?

Still need this diagram... ;)
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I think you need to pm chautau, there is no public storage on the board, so he will have to email you the pictures/scans.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
YOULI

Post by YOULI »

Ok :)

YOULI

Post by YOULI »

HEllo Everyone...

ALmost a year that I ask you about this schematic for an electronic device.

Still need it.

Anything new by your side ?

:?
YOULI

Post by YOULI »

It seems like years ago that I asked for some help about this circuit board, and get nothing at all in the end.

No one had the schematic or a good picture of it ? :shock:
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

I have an original one of those books. PM me your email and I'll send you some nice big 300dpi scans.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by YOULI »

Nice ! THX a lot ! :o
YOULI

Post by YOULI »

Thanks to ZIZ the informations needed are mine ! :)

Thanks a lot, the mission is complete. The big problem now is to build the circuit board correctly ! :)
Sure will dedicated this to you, Ziz ! :)
ambassador_londo

Post by ambassador_londo »

The originator of SFAM 4, Paul Newitt, sold the board (double sided, so some components had to be on one side of the board and others on the other), and I have one of them, though I never got around to purchasing the components and putting it together. Maybe one of these days, and I'll put it into the PL 1/350 scale kit instead of the old AMT. Considering he had to have it done to industrial tolerances (to get everything on the board), it isn't surprising that some have found issues with it.

If you'd like photos of the board, PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Maybe we can start hoping again for a bright future . . .
YOULI

Post by YOULI »

I really don't have "issues", it's simply that i bought a kit-lot on ebay, with bonus and stuff... I should have received the original documents, instead there was scann of it, but not with a sufficient resolution to read some of the instructions.
But there was the electronic components with it. It's genuine but quite old, don't even know if this will work. I'm confident enough to trust a friend of mine that will do the soldering and all, but i think some components may have "issues" due to their age :)

Thanks for the message though. We can share informations about the way it's done, the functionnality and all if you want ! :)