An expoxy that dries completely clear?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

No_6

An expoxy that dries completely clear?

Post by No_6 »

And a link to the site where I can order it would be greatly appreciated!
I am not a number.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

How thick were you wanting? There are a number of coatings for tables & fishing lures but they're relatively thin.
Abolish Alliteration
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Thick. Thick as the gel would be nice, but as the 5 minute quick-set would be fine. It would also be fine if it dried slightly white... just as long as it isn't yellow.
I am not a number.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

What exactly are you trying to do? That might help the selection process.

There are optical grade clear acrylic cements that cure via exposure to UV light, either a few minutes under direct sun or a few seconds under a UV light bulb.

Ken
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The fast epoxies will dry yellowish. I've used the 30-minute stuff with some success on windows. You should try to eliminate the bubbles in the mixing dish.

Envirotex Light is the best I've used for this type of thing, though it takes two days to cure completely.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Using it for windows. Also may use it to cast small parts.
I am not a number.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I know it's a little thin, as it's meant to settle out, but any craft store will carry clear casting resin for making paperweights or really thick table tops with stuff imbedded in them.

I've always wanted to try it for models but I've just never had the occasion.

I know you can get it at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, but I've also seen it at the small-town stores like Ben Franklin. I'm sure there's a place online that sells it also.

-Rog

EDIT: That should be clear acrylic casting resin.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

There's also Micro Glaze for making windows, although it's a dreaded unitasker...

I also just noticed this thread, but again it's just about windows, not making clear casts.

-Rog
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I was just working on an RC plane, and tried a new 30 min. Pro Epoxy from Great Planes. It dried crystal clear. As far as air bubbles, set your piece on top of an aquarium pump or external filter and let it cure. The gentle vibration will work the bubbles to the surface, and the slow drying time gives it plenty of time to work.

I have also read that thinning the mix with a little rubbing alcohol allows the bubbles to escape faster, and does very little to the finished product. (I wouldn't thin it for glassing an airplane fuselage, but casting small parts should be fine) I'm going to try casting some Defiant engine parts later tonight, and I'll post pictures if they come out well.

EDIT: I'm pretty happy with the results. The resin remained very clear, and the combination of thinning with alcohol and agitating the mold seemed to clear virtually all of the bubbles. Don's still look better than mine, but for a first try - I'm pretty pleased!
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n393 ... s_0687.jpg
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
No_6

Post by No_6 »

I've tried the 5 minute DevCon dries completely clear, though the 30 minute cures with a slight yellow tint.
I am not a number.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I know I've posted this link so many times, but I did take pictures of replacing a kit's windows with Envirotex Light.
http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/ ... ebeech.htm
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati