Large sheets of Styrene?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kugar13

Large sheets of Styrene?

Post by kugar13 »

Anyone know where I can purchase large sheets of Styrene? I read on a site where someone said you could buy 4' x 8' sheets, but I couldn't find anyone that sells it that big. The largest sheets I've found is 7" x 12". I'd like to buy larger sections....

Thanks!
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Check around with local sign shops or framing shops. Both of these commonly use very large sheets of styrene for various projects.

The professional photo lab I use regularly mounts my 11"x14"s - 20"x30"s on heavy styrene sheet. They also use gatorboard, and masonite - both of which have lots of scratch building potential :D
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Use the yellow pages to find a plastics company. Call them and ask for pricing on sheets of styrene. Once price is acquired, travel to their place of business and purchase. Roll it up to get it home, but IMMEDIATELY unroll it once home or you will end up with a styrene tube that you never get to flatten out again.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
Jades Dark Heart

Post by Jades Dark Heart »

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/produc ... %5Fid=3008

just an example of what can be found just google it in your area or order online :)
The Captain Cardboard X-Wing Project! See it at http://www.blockheadpictures.com

Anything Worth Doing, is Worth OVER Doing!!! JDH2008
kugar13

sorry

Post by kugar13 »

Sorry guys. I didn't realize I'd need to go to a plastic manufacturer, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered you. I thought there was a dist/hobby shop out there that had this kind of stuff and I wasn't able to find it.

I don't want you guys to think I didn't try to find it before asking. I honestly did.

Thanks!
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Sign supply shops usually have it in stock and can provide 18"x24" or 4'x8' sheets. We get it all the time from a loca supplier- your phone book should give you several choices but call for pricing- some palces are much more expensive than others.

Last edited by Richard Baker on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
kugar13

Sign Shops

Post by kugar13 »

Thanks Richard! I'll make some calls today!!! :)
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I'd go with the plastic supply house. There is one I use here in Cincy and it is WAY cheaper to buy your styrene that way. I get them to cut it inot 2'x4' sheets for easier handling. But I could just as easily roll it up and take it as a large sheet.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Butters

Post by Butters »

I'll second that you should try a plastic supply house first; I work in a sign shop and we do have 4'x8' sheets of styrene, however.... it's only one thickness (.040), and we'd charge you a frakkin' arm and a leg for it!!!
There is a solution to every problem. Sometimes it's just C4.

Fine. I got an Avatar. Happy?
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Plastic shops like the one JDH linked to will have styrene in all different thicknesses, from .010 to .080 and thicker, 4' x 8' sheets, for ten or twenty bucks each. No need to use arms or legs as currency.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.