40 PSI too much?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kugar13

40 PSI too much?

Post by kugar13 »

I'm new to many aspects of modeling. I decided to get serious about it and am diving head first, but I think I jumped the gun on buying a few things. After doing some research I read 30 PSI and lower is best for airbrushing models. I purchased a 40 PSI compressor yesterday. Is that too much?

Also, what accessories will I need for my airbrush?

Is there a great site/article/book on airbrushing that is considered the 'bible' of airbrushing?

I did some research today and decided to get the Paasche H Series Airbrush.

Thanks for the help guys!
redfinger

Re: 40 PSI too much?

Post by redfinger »

kugar13 wrote:I'm new to many aspects of modeling. I decided to get serious about it and am diving head first, but I think I jumped the gun on buying a few things. After doing some research I read 30 PSI and lower is best for airbrushing models. I purchased a 40 PSI compressor yesterday. Is that too much?

Is there a great site/article/book on airbrushing that is considered the 'bible' of airbrushing?

I did some research today and decided to get the Paasche H Series Airbrush.

Thanks for the help guys!
get a pressure gauge and a air regulator attatched to your compressor, that way you can control the psi. I usally spray in the area of 12-18psi.

The lower the pressure too, the thinner the paint, mostly ;)

and as ar as there being a "bible" of airbrushing, I have never seen one, but my reccomendation, just jump in, dont be afraid to try it and have fun w/ it....airbrushing is a highly individualized technique that is built after hours and years of use.

Ashton
kugar13

Post by kugar13 »

redfinger wrote: get a pressure gauge and a air regulator attatched to your compressor, that way you can control the psi. I usally spray in the area of 12-18psi.

The lower the pressure too, the thinner the paint, mostly ;)

and as ar as there being a "bible" of airbrushing, I have never seen one, but my reccomendation, just jump in, dont be afraid to try it and have fun w/ it....airbrushing is a highly individualized technique that is built after hours and years of use.

Ashton
What if I get this compressor?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92403

Thanks!
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Personally, I'd stay away from HF for anything other than hand-tools or accessories (drill bits, saw blades, etc)

This from experience - their electrical tools are so-so quality - you'd probably end up replacing that compressor in a year or so
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

I have a simalar compressor from habor freight.
I did a review of it.
http://www.happinessismandatory.com/mis ... ressor.htm

I think they are fine and have not a problem with mine. I am not a heavy user, just once a week to every other week.

Thanks,
Jon
kugar13

Thanks

Post by kugar13 »

Thanks for the advice guys.

As for me I've been buying Harbor Freight tools and such for many years. It's true their equipment is sub-par of the big boys, but I've been very lucky thus far.

I really appreciate having a community like this I can communicate with.

You guys rock!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

As for a bible, there are dozens of books out there. Some are good, some are excellent. But i've found this sight ust about the best...

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
kugar13

Post by kugar13 »

seam-filler wrote:As for a bible, there are dozens of books out there. Some are good, some are excellent. But i've found this sight ust about the best...

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/
thanks Seam-filler! an awesome site!!!
jgoldader

Post by jgoldader »

kugar13 wrote:I'm new to many aspects of modeling. I decided to get serious about it and am diving head first, but I think I jumped the gun on buying a few things. After doing some research I read 30 PSI and lower is best for airbrushing models. I purchased a 40 PSI compressor yesterday. Is that too much?

Caveat--I was a beginner myself last year at this time. That said...

A regulator and moisture trap are musts. I brush at 10-15 PSI, and it works well. You might want to consider a 5-10 gallon air tank at some point, it will damp out any pulsing you get from the compressor. (I bought a $35 tank at K-Mart that I fill with a very cheap tire compressor. One day, I might get a decent stand-alone compressor from AC Moore with the blessed 40%-off coupon.)

I strongly recommend a spraybooth as well, if you're painting indoors and don't want the room to look like a tie-dye T-shirt. If you're painting anything except acrylics, I suspect that a booth is more or less necessary (lungs are really hard to replace). You don't have to buy a booth, build it yourself and save a lot of money. I posted info on how I built mine here, search on my ID and you might still find it. Briefly, I used a marine bilge blower and high-current 12V DC power supply, and built the box with MDF or such from Home Depot. Venting through a basement window was done using a flexible clothes dryer duct. The whole thing cost about $80, thereabouts, as I recall. Building it was half the fun!
I spent many nights combing through the airbrush threads on this site, and made a long document in Word of all the best suggestions I found, sorted by topic. It's a great way to learn. Watch the Bench forum to see how people do preshading, camo, etc.

But the best info I got came the day I spent about two hours mixing everything up just right, and used the brush for the first time. Have fun!

Start with just messing around with scrap plastic or wood. Try different things. I'm still working out the "best" paint mixes for my tastes, for example.

You have to be willing to really foul things up in order to figure out how your setup works best, so don't make your grail kit your first project!

Hope these suggestions help.

Jeff