Question on Testor Metalizers

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

shotgunlebowski

Question on Testor Metalizers

Post by shotgunlebowski »

Just got a couple general questions on the testors metalizers.

1. I heard somewhere black primer was best to put down first
2. I need to have a couple different colors on the kit is it best to not paint over the metalizer and just tape off the other sections?

John
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Hi John
I recently painted my cylon raider with metallizers. They are pretty nice. I used white primer so that I could preshade the panels. I later masked out different panels to paint different shades of grey. I let that metallizer coat dry for a day though before I did any masking (using blue painter's tape). You can read here where I made some mistakes with the wash and have since decided to strip the model and start over. I now have the model primered in gloss black and have a couple of coats of future on it because I have ordered some alclad 2 metal finish paints. Good luck and if I can be of any help just let me know!
Bryan

viewtopic.php?t=69189
Newbie Doobie

Testors metalizer paints

Post by Newbie Doobie »

No base coat is usually neccessary,unless you're painting over a clear plastic. I've used this over every shade of polystyrene available,and I've
had no problems with it yet! You night have to clearcoat the metalizer,if you're going to paint different shades of it over the same area. You might want to spray your base coat over it,then clearcoat it. Then,mask off the panels of that shade first,then spray all your panels of the next shade over after masking the first colour,then do each coat the same until you get the desired effect! They do make a clearcoat for metalizer.