Is there a good way to clean old bottles?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Is there a good way to clean old bottles?

Post by Callandor »

I would like to salvage some of my old paint bottles and reuse them to mix paint. Is the an easy way to clean the old, clumpy, dried paint out of them? I tried some thinner, but that didn't work all that well. Is there a solvant or something that would work better?
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Don't know what kind of paint you are using but Super Clean or Purple Power is available at walmart in gallon containers for less than 10 bucks. Try soaking them in it for 24 hours.
If its really stubborn try lacquer thinner but protect yourself from the fumes (respirator)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I soak mine overnight with some acrylic cleaner.

But that only works if you're painting w/acrylics.
Abolish Alliteration
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Lacquer thinner will usually do the trick. Put your old paint bottles in an old Mason jar, cover them with lacquer thinner, screw on the lid and soak for a couple of days. Fish out the bottles and they should only need a good rinsing. If you can find some "brush cleaner" at a paint store, it's even more effective because it has more methylene chloride. Both will dissolve plastic caps, are stinky/volatile/not great stuff to breathe.
Last edited by Andrew Gorman on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Yup. Lacquer Thinner should cut through most dried paints.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I'd dig out any large accumulations of paint first, it'll just make a mess when it melts from the lacquer thinner.

I've found that if there's just a little paint in the bottle or coating the glass, a good soak in Super Clean/Purple Power will take the paint right off, wear gloves when using this stuff, it can be hard on the skin.

Ken
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

I soak mine in paint stripper for glass jars. I don't use plastic jars,so I can't help you there. If these are glass,soak them over night,then rince them out with cold water,but always wear rubber chemical resistant gloves - not the surgical type,but the industrial ones that you can get at any paint section of your local hardware,or Kmart store.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Fire?
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Stu Pidasso wrote:Fire?
Oh yeah, I forgot !If all else fails -FIRE!! :lol: