Question regarding multiple coats of paint

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Question regarding multiple coats of paint

Post by Callandor »

So, this may seem like an obvious question, but how long should you let a coat of paint dry before putting on a second coat of the same color? I am referring to brush painting in particular. My next questions is how long can you leave masking material on a model without affecting the paint underneath?
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

It really depends on what the paint is. If you're brush painting Tamiya acrylics for example, I usually leave it for 20 minutes. It should look dry at least. If you're doing thick layers, perhaps a few hours. The masking tape you use should not affect the paint underneath at all... if it does, you need to seal the paint first with a clear coat, or let it dry longer. Good masking tape should go on and come off easily, without leaving any residue.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

If you're using masking tape the first coat should really be left for a day before you apply the tape - otherwise you risk lifting the undercoat.

Don't be tempted to use cheap masking tape like the sort you get from hardware stores. They tend to be tackier and tend not to leave a nice, clean edge.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Use painters' tape(the blue stuff),and wait for five minutes between coats. Mask after a week,then paint. This works for me.