Total beginner lighting

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Ramshackle_Curtis

Total beginner lighting

Post by Ramshackle_Curtis »

Hey guys,

This is my first post on the forum! yay!

Anyway, I read through the topics on here and cant seem to find what Im after. Basically, Im so totally a newb that even the newb topics are too advanced for me! :?

I want to add the most simple possible led to a model. That is, one led, a wire, a battery and an on/off mechanism. It has to be small as I want to put it in a 28mm scale figure. Im making the figure myself, so could put space for a larger battery into it, but really the smaller the better.

My questions are these: can I just buy the parts and go ahead, or do I need a capacitor or other electronic doodad to make the thing work? What batteries are best for really small stuff? How much "runtime" will a tiny battery give me?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated!
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

You want this all mounted in a 28mm figure?
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

You can get by with as little as an LED and a "watch battery". That's all that is in some teeeny flashlights, anyway. Just make sure that the LED needs a bit more voltage than the battery can deliver, for long LED life.

F'r instance, if you are using a BLUE or WHITE LED, they need about 3.6 volts to operate at full brightness. So use a watch battery that puts out 3 volts. How? The LED will have two leads coming out of it - one needs a POSITIVE connection, the other needs a NEGATIVE. The flat top of the battery is one connection, the other flat side is the other. Slide the leads from the LED onto the top and bottom of the battery, and if it doesn’t light up, flip the battery over and that will reverse the connections. Remember which is which - the case of the battery is often marked for polarity. On most new LEDs the leads are two different lengths - the shorter one is usually the NEGATIVE one.

If you want to use a RED, AMBER, ORANGE, YELLOW, or most GREEN LEDS, they take between 1.8 and 2.6 volts, so you can use a 1.5 volt watch battery and see how the LED lights up.

Older LEDs may not be as efficient as newer models, so you might see if you can find “super bright” LEDs in the size and color you need - they may operate dimmer than their full brightness at their full voltage, but still be usable at lower supply (battery) voltage.

LEDs come in many many sizes and shapes, usually as a tiny crystal embedded in a bubble of clear epoxy. That epoxy bubble can be shaped, as long as you keep enough ‘body’ to support the leads, and don’t get too near the crystal and the hair fine wire connecting it to one of the leads.

You might look at ‘Surface Mount’ size LED if you really need a small one. Try Ngineers N gauge model railroad supplier for truly nano sized ones.

You can just leave a space to slide the battery into the figure to turn the LED on or off. Like in a back pack, or in the base.

I've put LED eyes in a 25 MM gargoyle, and a 'flame' in the staff of a 25 MM wizard, so it is doable! :8)

HTH
Ramshackle_Curtis

Wow thanks thats exactly the info I needed! Off to Maplins it is then!

I run a little business making models and selling them online (www.ramshacklegames.co.uk) and Im thinking of making some bits with LEDs embedded in the cast. I was thinking of maybe a steampunk boiler that lights up, or maybe a burning headed demon skeleton thing with a flaming head or such like. SO Im not going to be fitting these things retrospectively into an already cast model, more that the connectors from the LED will poke out of the bottom of the model, ready for the customer to hook up the battery.

If anyone out there has any scratch built spaceships they want casting with embedded LEDs, give me a shout. Maybe we can have a go...
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Maybe you could cast some 1:2500 Trek ships with LEDs in the saucers, secondary hulls, and engines. :)
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Ramshackle_Curtis

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:Maybe you could cast some 1:2500 Trek ships with LEDs in the saucers, secondary hulls, and engines. :)
Well, I dont think Id be able to get away with selling ships from other peoples IP. However, scratch built stuff is all systems go as they say....
Balok

Post by Balok »

Welcome to the boards RC. You might try lighting your figure through a fiber optic(s) strand(s) and have the electrical bits below in a base. That's a more likely to fit scheme.
<i>
Always remember
we stand on the roof of Hell
gazing at flowers.
</i>
kitty

Post by kitty »

I managed to put a 3mm LED with a resistor in a 23 mm long runabout so it can be done, and if you have a steady hand you could use a SMD led and resistor.
A Led is a current driven component, not a voltage driven component, so you need a resistor to have a current go through the LED.
First rule with LEDS: they don't work without resistors.
There are several sites that will calculate the value of the resistor you need.
Democracy may be only a few steps removed from anarchy,
But at least it's not as loud.
You broke your little ships. See you around Ahab. :spock:
Canada Jeff

Post by Canada Jeff »

And speaking of resistors, remember that they generate heat and require an "air-gap" around them to bleed off heat. That could be tough if you're planning on casting these parts inside a figure.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just one more wrinkle to anticipate. Sounds like a cool idea.