New Airbrush Purchase

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

modeler1964

New Airbrush Purchase

Post by modeler1964 »

After some time away from modeling over the summer, after weathering Hurricane Gustav, and moving, I am finally getting back to some building. I have never done any airbrushing, all of my models have been painted with spray cans and detailed with a brush. I bought a really cheap generic single action external mix siphon feed brush and could not get the thing to work well at all. The thing left me more frustrated than anything else. So this morning I decided to get one that I felt was a good quality double action brush to start down the road with and learn this fine craft. Dixie art supplies in New Orleans had what I was looking for, an Iwata Eclipse CS for 116.95, the Iwata hose did not come with it so I had to order one of those as well for 19.95. All total I paid 142.38 with tax ( I live in Louisiana) but they do not charge shipping on orders over 60 dollars. Anyone have advice or opinions on this brush? Setup advice or anything? Any comments are welcome for this newbie to airbrushing!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The Eclipse is what I've been using for the last, oh 8 years. Sturdy, reliable, puts up with my heavy handed cleaning techniques and long paint sessions.

All airbrushes have a learning curve. But it's short, in my opinion, and after that it's just a matter of time behind the brush. No airbrush I've used likes Tamiyas metalics as thier flake size is huge. Tends to clog the nozzle. As with any a/b, cleanlyness is your friend. Nothing sucks more than being set up for a good brushing session only to find your a/b is clogged with crap because you didn;t clean it well enough then last time you used it.

Being a gravity fed brush you can run some damned low pressures for very fine lines. Take the time to buy a notebook of cheap paper and practice fine lines, dots, waves, etc. Gentle is a key word with a/b. I can understand your frustration with the cheap external mix, they're just about good for nothing.
Abolish Alliteration
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I bought one of the six dollar variety airbrushes when I was in Jr. High. Darn thing got me so upset that I didn't touch an airbrush again until College. That's when I actually signed up for an airbrushing class and bought my Vega. Now, I almost exclusively use my Aztec.

I still have the six dollar one in my tool box. It makes nice mud spatter for heavy weathering :P

Good luck with the Eclipse, I've heard really good things about it. It will serve you well!
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

this may be slightly off topic but it's still related...

I bought an Iwata Revolution CR three years ago at Wonderfest. I haven't actually used it yet, mainly since I haven't built anything that's reached the painting stage in a while :roll: (but that's topic for another discussion). I have heard absolutley nothing from anyone about the Rev CR. Am I the only person who's bought one of these in the last 2 or 3 years? Was this a good choice? I bought it on Tom Grossman's suggestion as I wanted a good all around performer for general purpose painting and I respect his insight into the Iwata brand. I paid about $90 or so (I don't remember exactly - the price seemed right). I don't have a lot of a/b experience either (other than an old Aztec 470 that was given to me) and I was told this was a good brush to cut my painting teeth on. Since nobody ever mentions this particular model a/b, did I buy the wrong one?
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've lost count of the number of 5 y/o's I've taught to use an airbrush with the Rev. Excellent for the cutting of teeth.

Now as to your building schedule.... :D
Abolish Alliteration
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Kylwell wrote: Now as to your building schedule.... :D
I know, I know. :roll: I do have a Spruce Goose on the bench right now but...

Anyways, back to the topic :wink:
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You do know it only took 5 years to design & build the original....
Abolish Alliteration
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Thanks for the input. I already have a small Campbell/Hausfield (sp) 1 gallon compressor. I know I will need a moisture trap/filter for it and maybe get a better pressure regulator for it, I think it will be enough for what I do. The compressor will run a brad nailer and I feel it will certainly run the brush. The little bugger is loud though when it kicks on at low pressure, scares the begeezus out of ya if you are close by! LOL! Anyway, I will do a little experimenting this weekend if I can, after SWMBO's honey do list is complete. I promised her new bathroom flooring this weekend, shouldn't take more than a few hours.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Save your ears and get a little air tank to fill from the big compressor. Silent and should last for some time.
Abolish Alliteration
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Pat, I bought one of the Revolutions, and didn't like it at all. I ended up selling it. BUT, I've been using a Eclipse that I've borrow from the MadKlingon and so far it's been a pretty good airbrush. Not as much control IMO as a SOTAR, the trigger throw is too abrupt, but close. It is pretty picky about how you thin the paint, too.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

Pat Amaral wrote:this may be slightly off topic but it's still related...

I bought an Iwata Revolution CR three years ago at Wonderfest. I haven't actually used it yet, mainly since I haven't built anything that's reached the painting stage in a while :roll: (but that's topic for another discussion). I have heard absolutley nothing from anyone about the Rev CR. Am I the only person who's bought one of these in the last 2 or 3 years? Was this a good choice? I bought it on Tom Grossman's suggestion as I wanted a good all around performer for general purpose painting and I respect his insight into the Iwata brand. I paid about $90 or so (I don't remember exactly - the price seemed right). I don't have a lot of a/b experience either (other than an old Aztec 470 that was given to me) and I was told this was a good brush to cut my painting teeth on. Since nobody ever mentions this particular model a/b, did I buy the wrong one?
I have a Rev and I love it. It is my first double action airbrush. I used to use a Badger 350, but I really like the control the Rev gives me. I have the gravity feed version and my only complaint is you can't change out colors as fast as with a siphon feed brush.

Go and play!

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Well my new airbrush came in today. I ordered it on Tuesday morning and it made it here Wednesday. The company is in Louisiana as am I but it seems they are on top of their game much like the SSM store. For future reference, they are great to deal with and have fair prices too! I will let you guys know what I think of it after I try it out this weekend but I have a feeling I have made a good investment. Now to learn the craft!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have a Revolution, it's a decent general-use brush. It doesn't have the broad range of the Omni, but plenty good for modeling.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Here are some pics of the brush setup. I bought an Iwata moisture trap from hobby lobby last night with the 40% coupon. Retail was 29.95! I also bought another from harbor freight for the other end. The compressor has one and it may suffice but here in louisiana it's very humid. Anyway here you go. I am minutes away from trying it out.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... CS/001.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... CS/002.jpg