Trying to put lights in my model

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

crescence

Trying to put lights in my model

Post by crescence »

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I've been looking all around the internet for a guide on how to add lights in my tank (a Chaos Land Raider for the Warhammer 40k tabletop wargame) and this is the only site where there is a forum on Lighting & Electronics. My knowledge on electronics is very limited, so I hope you guys can help me =)

I'm planning to put headlights on my tank, which is going to be 2 white LEDs, blinking turn signals (2 yellow LEDs), and interior lights (around 3 red LEDs). I've got 9 white LEDs from a cheap torchlight I bought at a flea market. The problem is, I don't know the ratings of these LEDs. But the torchlight runs on 3 AAA batteries and the 9 LEDs are connected with this(already removed the LEDs with a solder):

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2082/74849630pq1.jpg

So, can someone tell me if a 9V battery is enough to power the lights in my tank, the ratings of the white LEDs, and how do I make my turn signals blink?

Thanks.
dsl40083

Post by dsl40083 »

3 AAA = 4.5V so you need some resistors if you want to use a 9V battery.
What kind of resistors depends on the LEDs (sorry can't help you there).

For the turn signals, you can get yellow LEDs with a built in blink circuit.
You can even get LEDs that can light up in different colors but this is where it start to get a bit complicated.
The blink LED is not that much more expensive than regular LED.