Painting photo-etched mesh

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

35th-scale

Painting photo-etched mesh

Post by 35th-scale »

Hi Guys,
is there any tip to painting photo etch mesh like engine covers etc? I'm either clogging all the little holes, or being left with a hint of the brass still showing through if I thin the paint. I'm using enamels.

Thanks,
Sean
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Are you air brushing or using a spray bomb?
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
35th-scale

Post by 35th-scale »

A brush! What's a spray bomb?
Cheers,
Sean.
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

A can of spray paint. Are you using a BRUSH brush (with bristles) or an AIR brush? If you're trying to paint mesh with a bristle brush, the only way to do it without clogging up the mesh is drybrushing, where you dip just the ends of the bristles in paint, and wipe almost off the paint off the brush (by whipping the end of the brush back and forth on a piece of papaer towel, for instance. ) You want the brush to be almost completely devoid of paint (hence, the "dry" part). Then lightly whip the brush back and forth on the mesh. It's subtle and will take time to really build up the color, but it's the only way to do it without clogging up the works.

Of course, if you can, I'd just airbrush it, using light coats....
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
35th-scale

Post by 35th-scale »

Yup! It's a Brush brush, complete with bristles.... I never did get into this air brush Mullarkey, given that my workspace to the kitchen table and has to be tiedied up every night, plus there were always other things to spend that sort of money on. Maybe next year when the eldest goes off to collage and a room coms free.....

Hadn't tried or even thought of dry brushing. Thanks rpauly
Cheers,
Sean.