Ok, it's official - I suck at glueing

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

robgmun

Ok, it's official - I suck at glueing

Post by robgmun »

CA stright from the applicator, CA is too thin and goes everywhere apart from where i want.

Can some of you give some wisdom as to how you do it??
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Put a small amount of the CA on a scrap piece of plastic, and use a toothpic to apply. This gives you complete control.

Just remember to place the scrap piece away from the main area of your work area. I glued a large piece to the side of my hand. It took the better part of an hour, with Owen's help, to remove it. :roll:
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

MicroMark even sells little red caps to put CA in. I usually use a 3 inch piece of small diameter piano wire to apply the CA, whether it's the thin stuff or the Wave Black CA unless I need a lot of it.

Then I put on some nitrile gloves so that if the stuff gets on my fingers I can just pull the gloves off. They've massively reduced gluing models to myself.
Abolish Alliteration
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

I use the plastic tops from discarded containers (like the kind you get on a can of mixed nuts) to place a small puddle of CA on. The can tops are soft and flexible so when I've got too much dried CA on one, I just bend the top back and forth until the spot of CA pops off. Good as new. For an applicator, I have a large sewing needle chucked in my pin vise. I cut off the tip of the eye about half way up the opening to make a tiny, two pronged fork. When I dip the fork into the CA puddle, I get a nice little drop caught between the prongs. It's just enough to make a precise application right where I need it. If you don't have a pin vise to use as a handle, you can stick the pointy end of the needle into the eraser end of a pencil. All you really need is something you can hold comfortably.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Pat and I use the exact same method. I jam the needle into an old pink eraser. When the tiny needle fork gets clogged up, I set it on fire to burn off the glue. (Just don't inhale this stuff). That wears out the needle after a while, the prongs actually burn away after a few weeks. But needles are cheap.

Oh, and I place a few drops of CA in a milk cap. Plentiful and disposable, and no chance of sticking my arm in the glue.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

I use bottle caps. People look at me strange as I gently pry open my beer and put the cap in my pocket. I also use a drafting pen as an applicator. There are some good ideas here, though.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Pat Amaral wrote:I use the plastic tops from discarded containers (like the kind you get on a can of mixed nuts) to place a small puddle of CA on. The can tops are soft and flexible so when I've got too much dried CA on one, I just bend the top back and forth until the spot of CA pops off. Good as new. For an applicator, I have a large sewing needle chucked in my pin vise. I cut off the tip of the eye about half way up the opening to make a tiny, two pronged fork. When I dip the fork into the CA puddle, I get a nice little drop caught between the prongs. It's just enough to make a precise application right where I need it. If you don't have a pin vise to use as a handle, you can stick the pointy end of the needle into the eraser end of a pencil. All you really need is something you can hold comfortably.
Yuppers. I stuck a pin in the end of some dowling. Works like a charm.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I put CA on little squares of waxed cardboard I cut from the separator they put between the two layers of soda cans when you buy a case at COSTCO. For applicators I use toothpicks or brass wire if I really need fine control. I even have one of those capillary action dental tools you dip in the CA and touch the joint so it flows along seams. I don't always use gloves though which I should.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I just use these on top of my Zap-a-gap:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/u ... G_2322.jpg

I can put a small dot where I need it by controlling how much I squeeze the bottle. 5 for less than a buck too.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Blister packs from pills work great as little wells. It stays active for quite a while.

Yes, just a tiny amount to get the parts fixed. THEN you can come back and fill the gap with more. Get some practice, and you'll have a smooth joint.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Topher5000

Post by Topher5000 »

I bent a staple in half, drilled a small hole in the end of a piece of sprue & glued the bent staple in. The 'fork' formed by the staple ends draw the CA in.
If I need more CA, I spread the ends of the staple. If I need less, I push them together.
flyfort17

Post by flyfort17 »

I recently discovered Gator Glue. That stuff is awesome. It dries a little slower than ca giving you more working time. You can find it here.

http://www.gatorsmask.com/
Todd
Im a peripheral visionary. I can see the future but only out of the corner of my eye.