paint problems on resin models

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Zatchmo

paint problems on resin models

Post by Zatchmo »

hello all, i was wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

i am building a resin model and the paint keeps peeling off whenever i pull off a masked section. i know resin models require special primer base coats for paint to adhere properly, so i assume this is because the base primer coat either isn't doing its job or i don't have enough on the surface of the model.

anyone have any input or suggestions for a better primer? i am using autmotive primer from wal mart at the moment.
futch

Post by futch »

did you soak the resin parts overnight in dish washing detergent/water, then scrub/rinse under warm water with a tooth brush?

sounds like mold release or natural silicone oil is between your primer and the resin.

if the surface is textured, it's harder to get the mold release out.
Slave1

Post by Slave1 »

I'm actually having the same exact problem with the Fantastic Plastic A-Wing. I barely touch a part with my fingernail and the primer chips right off. I also have tried cleaning the mold release off several times but it's still giving me issues :(
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Automotive lacquer-based primer is good stuff for priming resin to take regular model paints. I use Mann mold release spray, and it's made up of a wax-like silicone compound. Normally all it takes is dishwashing detergent or alcohol to strip the mold release. I keep some resin parts around for paint and decal testing and from from time to time I'll strip them with Castrol Super Clean. I find that these parts paint easily without primer because the Super Clean has done such a thorough job of pulling the trace oils out of the resin. So maybe you should try a little Castrol Super Clean on the resin and see if the primer sticks better. Now, if you happen to use the hardware-store variety of silicone spray lubricant as your mold release, you will never get paint to stick to it.