Very Bright LEDs - For March and April 2008

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

en'til Zog

Very Bright LEDs - For March and April 2008

Post by en'til Zog »

I'm often looking for very very bright LEDs, especially if they're cheap. You can always make a BRIGHT LED dimmer (which also prolongs it's life) but it's not a good idea to make any LED brighter than it's specifications indicate (which shortens it's life).

Also, I sometimes want the choice between a BLUE WHITE LED (7000K degrees color temp) and a WARM WHITE one (3000 to 4000K).

One of my favorite Electronic Stuff Suppliers is having a sale on some extremely bright LEDs - both blue/white and warm white ones. These are 10 mm bubbles with 5 (five) LED crystals in 'em. Output? Over 200,000 mcd or 200 candle power. They operate at around 3.6 volts (one special purpose, small Lithium battery, or 3 @ AA's) at only 100 milliAmps. They have a wide angle of view so they can be seen from a good ways off axis. There is also a 45,000 mcd model with a 120 degree angle of view, and it's a bit smaller.

Part Numbers?
G16642 - blue white, 40 degree.
G16659 - warm white, 45 degree.
G16656 - blue white, 120 degree.

Oh, the name is "The Electronic Goldmine" at www.goldmine-elec.com or 1-800-445-0697 . Lotsa other neat stuff for cheap too.

This sale is for March and April 2008, which gives you a bit of time to do some ordering, should you wish to do so.

Make ‘Em Blink! :D
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Zog,

Cool man, thanks!

-John C.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Balok

Post by Balok »

:D I'm getting some.

Thanks Zog.
<i>
Always remember
we stand on the roof of Hell
gazing at flowers.
</i>
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

It is good to share.

Got any fries?

:D
Balok

Post by Balok »

Damn these are bright... with the lenses sanded off they should work well in one of my FMMF engines. Muhuwa! My evil plans advance. Thanks again for the tip Zog, and you may have my fries.
<i>
Always remember
we stand on the roof of Hell
gazing at flowers.
</i>