Airbrush problem... quik help?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jaekwong

Airbrush problem... quik help?

Post by jaekwong »

Hi there, so i bought an aztek a470

and also an iwata smart jet..

i notice.. when i use the general tip.. the psi is at around 50 ... i try releasing the air through the valve.. but then the smart jet kicks in and fill sit back to 50 ...

so when i spray.. with the general tip... it sprays so hard. and doesn't go on right. can anyone give me any tips?

Jessey
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Do you have a pressure regulator? If not, you'll need to get one so you can cut the pressure back. Typically, you'll want to be spraying at 20 psi or so. At 50, you're going to either be getting spider webs or the paint will be dry by the time it hits the plastic.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

SmartJeT should have come with a regulator, that thing with the pressure dial on it.
Abolish Alliteration
jaekwong

Post by jaekwong »

its a bleed type regulator.. so it leaks the pressure out, so once it hits about 45 the smart jet kicks rite in and charges it up to 50 ...

so im thinking the "smart technology" of turning off the compressor is now renddered useless. since i have to CONSTANTLY bleed the pressure out to get it at 35 .. meaning the compressor will constnatly run wihtout stopping unless its at 50
is that correct?

is there a special regulator that can help me keep a pressure of 35 yet have the compressor off unless its lower than 35?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

That one should do it, you should be able to set the pressure to as low as 5 psi. But, one like this will work, it's what I've got on mine.
Abolish Alliteration
jaekwong

Post by jaekwong »

im not sure if i can afford a regulator right now, is it bad for the compressor to be just constantly running then? if the noise doesnt bother me... how long is TOO LONG for the compressor to be constnatly pumping air?
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Depends, I had a similar compressor and mine tended to get very hot after running non-stop for 15 minutes.
jaekwong

Post by jaekwong »

so if i needed a regulator. do i just replace the one that the smart jet came with ? i guess i need a regulator witha moisture trap.. but yea im not sure about how to physically set it up , do ijust replace the current bleed regulator?

will somethign like this work? and is this brand any good ?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Airbrush-Compressor- ... dZViewItem
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

You should be able to adjust the bleed valve to change the air pressure. Check your manual, or get one at www.iwata-medea.com if you can't find yours.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
jaekwong

Post by jaekwong »

yes but this renders the "smart technology" it shuts ONLY when psi is at 50 psi.. u cant set that... thats the current problem i can bleed out the air.. to 35 psi.. but the compressor will constnatly run...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I think the 'smart' part of this is you don't have to turn it off in between spray sessions. You paint, clean, and hang the brush up.

As for it running all the time, unless it has a tank, which I don't think yours does, it should run all the time while painting. If the noise bugs you get a looooong hose and put the compressor as far away as possible. It can help.

Regulator looks good, wish I'd paid $10 for mine.
Abolish Alliteration
Jun AustriaGBCPAQ

Re: Airbrush problem... quik help?

Post by Jun AustriaGBCPAQ »

jaekwong wrote:Hi there, so i bought an aztek a470

and also an iwata smart jet..

i notice.. when i use the general tip.. the psi is at around 50 ... i try releasing the air through the valve.. but then the smart jet kicks in and fill sit back to 50 ...

so when i spray.. with the general tip... it sprays so hard. and doesn't go on right. can anyone give me any tips?

Jessey
If ever you get a regulator (I'm using an industrial type. its bigger and the two capsule acts like a tank already) use this as a pressure guide for you're Aztek....

http://homepage.mac.com/srogers4/hobbie ... zzles.html