Need a SMALL 9 volt power source

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Qrest Fourstar

Need a SMALL 9 volt power source

Post by Qrest Fourstar »

So, I've got another one of the Voodoo FX x-wing light kits. I put one in my SMT Y-wing(and hasn't gone any farther) so I'm cool with soldering it together. Now, I want to put it in the new Finemolds X-wing BUT I want to make it self contained, I don't want to have to drill a mounting hole. The light kit is designed for a regular 9 volt battery, but there's no way to fit one in there.

Would it be possible to make a smal rectangular box, long enough to hold 6 button cell batteries, put brass pieces at either end of the box, one for positive and one for negative and power it that way instead?

Or is there a nice small 9volt powersource out there I'm unaware of?
-Paul

"She may not look like much, But she's got it where It counts kid." -Han Solo
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or you could go with 3 3-volt batteries.

But yes, shouldn;t be an issue. Plastic tube and some brass.
Abolish Alliteration
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

If you have an old TV remote or something similar, you can scavenge the battery springs out of them to use in your tube. The metal is nickel plated so you can solder a wire to the lead. Just be sure its not got any corrosion on it (some times the batteries leak).
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
Qrest Fourstar

Post by Qrest Fourstar »

Wow! It's 1:34 and I spent the last 3+ hours working on models!! The most I've done it quite some time. Anyway, I soldered all my red LED's and trimed down the circuitboard to fit underneath the wings. I realized the best place for the Batteries is the front landing gear bay!! It should hold 3 small batteries perfectly.

Where would you recommend getting 3 3volt batteries? I thought the ones I've seen at Wal-mart are only 1.5 volt.

Hmmm, where am I going to put the on/off switch....
-Paul

"She may not look like much, But she's got it where It counts kid." -Han Solo
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

I'm not sure if this would work for your situation but I remember other people putting a push button switch underneath the R2 Droid so when you press it down it turns it on and then press again to turn off.
Good luck!
Can't wait to see it when it's done.
"It matters if you just don't give up"
~Stephen Hawking