evil dust bunnies

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

davidlgreen

evil dust bunnies

Post by davidlgreen »

it seems whenever i airbrush i wind up with dust on the model.
does anyone have a good way of wiping them down or otherwise cleaning them to avoid this? thanks.
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

I have a plastic storage bin that I only use for covering painted models. If it's not upside down over a drying model, it is stored with its lid on. I rinse it out every two coats or so... I also try to keep as much air moving through my paint booth as possible.

Hope this helps
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
Jun AustriaGBCPAQ

Post by Jun AustriaGBCPAQ »

I have the same problem before. So everytime I use my spray booth or an area for spraying. I clean and vacuum the place. Since then no dust. Just to be on the safer side, after spraying, Store the newly paint model in a plastic container. The one I use got a rubbel seal ( Lock and Lock from Korea ). Hope this help.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Here's what I do - and I have a verrry dusty basement.

In my paint booth, I shoot a coat of Future over everything inside it just before airbrushing. Seriously. No dust is going to escape it once locked down. That booth probably has 10 coats of Future inside it by now. :) Most of the time, I am shooting acrylics anyway so I can begin paiinting straightaway

Secondly, I keep the paint booth closed at all times, unless of course, I am painting.

On the model itself, I clean the heck out of it immediately before painting. I use automotive tack rags for this. I keep my tack rags stored in zippered storage bags between uses. GEt them at Wal-Mart in the aisle with the spraybombs.

While painting, I keep the model in the booth. I place it on a pedestal (just an upside down plastic ice-cream tub), covered with a shop towel that I treated with Future a while back. After I am finished with, say, the top of the model, I close the booth, let it dry completely, and then start on the bottom.

I also handle the model with a gloved hand. I just wear some of the tight weave, cotton work gloves. No lint, and no prints to make dust stick or keep paint from sticking.

These little steps have gone a loooooong way to help me with painting my models. If you don't have a booth, just use a large, dedicated cardboard box, lightly wet/Future it and use it to shelter models as they dry.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Joseph Osborn

Re: evil dust bunnies

Post by Joseph Osborn »

davidlgreen wrote:it seems whenever i airbrush i wind up with dust on the model.
does anyone have a good way of wiping them down or otherwise cleaning them to avoid this? thanks.
This time of year there's more static electricity to cause problems, and bare styrene seems to attract dust more than painted styrene. I've used tack rags in the past, but they can sometimes leave behind traces of wax that may hinder model paints. In the past, I've wiped bare plastic with denatured alcohol to help get rid of dust and anything else that might get in the way of the paint. You could always wet down the floor and walls before painting. :wink: That's what we used to do when painting real cars.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Static is a real key here.

I really like PolyScale's Plastic Prep. I can tell on a model where I miss an area - dust collects.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

I use a dry-booth.

Once parts are painted they get put into the booth for drying.
It is sealed and cuts down on the curing time of paint, etc.