What's the difference between gravity fed and bottle feed AB

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

slowthing

What's the difference between gravity fed and bottle feed AB

Post by slowthing »

Just wondering - What's the difference between gravity fed and bottle feed airbrushes apart from paint volume. I'm looking to buy a new AB but I'm having great difficulty in selecting a particular model. Been looking at a Badger 360 to combine both types of feed - but like the look of the Iwata Revolution TR1 because it has a trigger and a large gravity paint cup.
talon

Post by talon »

first off, please dont buy an airbrush because of looks.

second, I use a bottle feed, more commonly known as a siphon feed where a small hose sucks up the paint from the bottle into the internal mix of the airbrush. I wish I had gotten a gravity feed cup. The problem is that if you want to mix some paint in a small batch, say, 1/2 oz then you're already running on empty in the bottles, where as a gravity feed cup you're good to go. It seems to get solid continuous spray with my bottles I have to fill them more than I want to. So my next airbrush will be a gravity feed cup. I like the Eclipse series by Iwata more than the Revolution. Mine is the Iwata Eclipse BCS but I want the Iwata Eclipse CS. an fyi. Hope that helped some.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Siphon feed require a higher air-pressure to paint as the paint needs to be sucked out of the Bottle.

Both got their pros and cons. Siphon feed are good for applications where you need larger volumes of paints like big models.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I've become a big fan of the integral-cup gravity-fed airbrushes.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
slowthing

Post by slowthing »

Thanks for the replies peeps. After hours of reading on here and elsewhere on the Web I've placed an order for an Eclipse HP-CS and as I type its winging it's way across the Atlantic from Canada - even with tax and duty it's still £40 cheaper than here in UK - Rip off Britain strikes again!!
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

You won't go wrong with the Eclipse. I've got the SBS version, which is a side-feed. Best of both worlds, siphon and gravity. Use both styles about as much too.

Enjoy the new brush. You take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin