Dec. 2k7 Hobby Japan, pg 17. What is this putty/filler(?)

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Hiryu02

Dec. 2k7 Hobby Japan, pg 17. What is this putty/filler(?)

Post by Hiryu02 »

On this page is a build-up of a 144 Gundam Exia kit. Unfortunately I don't read Japanese and I want to learn more about the techniques used.

I noticed that near the middle of the page is a photo of some parts that had been filled in with a yellowish substance that filled in the hollow area on the back of the panel.

This putty(?) is not shown among the supplies used to build the kit. It is shown in another photo after it has been painted and panel lines have been drawn. It is also used to fill in the hollow anterior side of a narrow rectangular part so that it looks like a solid part, not open in the back.

It seems that it takes paint well, and hardens enough to be drawn upon.

I'm very curious to know what this could be. Any ideas/info would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

while the use and avalibility of it in japan makes me question my guess... it sounds like aves apoxie scult to me...

course i'm colorblind, so i can't really judge by that. aves looks more beige to me. however, all the other properties fit.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
Hiryu02

Post by Hiryu02 »

Well, if not Aves, does Tamiya or any other Japanese manufacturer make something that matches the description?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Sounds kind of like Mori-mori.
Abolish Alliteration
Less Than Super Ostrich

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

Mori mori is the best putty I've ever used. And it is yellow. I'm guessin' that's what it is.
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
Hiryu02

Post by Hiryu02 »

Thanks for the link, Kylwell. You are always super helpful to us newbies.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

So how does Mori-mori compare to Tamiya polyester putty?

I have the Tamiya, and it's pretty nice.

Kev
Valdore

Post by Valdore »

Could it be that light curing stuff Tamiya makes? Thats kind of yellow orange.

Valdore